PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jos. Stalin for one. Churchill used to provide them. Probably most any upper class Englishman smoked Dunhills back in the day. The pipes and tobaccos were made primarily for the upper class.

"dunhill" sells luxury leather stuff among other luxury items. "Dunhill", capital "Dee" made pipes. "dunhill" wasn't around that many years ago. It's a convoluted story you can find on the site in many related threads.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember, Dunhill used to be second fiddle to Kaywoodie, and though they were both pricey pipes, it wasn't anything like the current White Spot pricing. So, yes, it was an up-market pipe that well-off pipe smokers favored, but it wasn't the corrected-for-inflation equivalent of eight hundred USD for a medium sized smooth briar it is today.

In the economic boom of the 1960's, the economy went crazy, Dunhill jacked its prices through the roof, and they've never come down.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Remember, Dunhill used to be second fiddle to Kaywoodie
Only in the US though, I believe and, only in sales as they provided cheap through expensive layers of pipes. The British Empire meant Dunhill was revered by the upper crust, world wide. Kaywoodie did have many grades. Most likely so as to reach a wide spectrum of wallets. I'm not sure Kaywoodie and Dunhill can be compared fairly to each other as brands. Alfred Dunhill stuck to his desire to provide products for only his chosen and well understood market. He did so when he went into the automobile accessory business and continued when he expanded into pipes and tobaccos.

Comparing upper level Kaywoodie pipes to Dunhils is, I think, valid. Less expensive Kaywoodies certainly wouldn't compare well to the better grade of Dunhill or, Kaywoodie for that matter.

Last edited:

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Mallory's body was found on Everest but his Dunhill was not listed as far as I know, the rope round his waist was broken in a fall, no one knows whether they were the first to reach the top, but to me if you reach the top you have to get down, or you are not successful. It was my heroes that got me into climbing and pipe smoking, a pipe is the best hand warmer on a mountain in winter, thank god for that, I only walk mountains now but my pipe is always with me. puffy