PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My Great Uncle smoked a pipe as did my dad. My Great uncle always had a pipe in his mouth. Never saw a picture with out it. He would put it out at bed time, load it for the next morning and set it on his nightstand to light in the morning before his feet hit the floor. Even at meal times he would puff between bites at the table. Lived to be 90 years old, died with a pipe in his mouth and didn't drop it...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have some really smokin' family members, and i'LL TELL YA, IT'S KINDA tough at weddings, wakes and brisses once the drinkin' and dancin' starts. I mean, I'm related to them, but...hey, they're ok, I'm OK.
Is that wrong?

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Grandfather, uncle and dad.
My father passed in 1990 and I was given his pipe collection (five and a jar/rack).

At the time both my younger brothers smocked, but I didn't, the set should have went to them.
It kind of got boxed up and put away, until about a year ago. Restoring his set-up is what got

me started in the world of pipes.

My great grandfather smoked pipes that he carved. And, I had two great uncles who I can't find a single picture of without a pipe in their mouths. One was even known to sleep in his rocker with his pipe hanging out of his mouth. And, a slew of other farmer relatives on that side of the family that smoked pipes. The pipes went into their shirt pockets during meals, as I remember. But, I barely remember them at meals. The pipe was just a part of who they were.
I also had two closer uncles who were occasional pipe smokers, just smoking once or twice a day. The rest of the family were cigarette smokers. I've posted pictures in other threads, but I can't seem to track them down.
But, now-a-days I'm the only living pipe smoker in the family, but I do know of many other pipe smokers in my neighborhood and in the greater community. It seems to be all of the rage with the kids these days. My hats off to you gents who are taking this up in solitude. I don't think I would worry one bit what type of pipe I had if it were not for showing off my pipes to friends when I am smoking out and about. I'd probably just smoke a cob or some such. But, I am grateful that we do have so many people who smoke pipes here. It makes collecting pipes and tobaccos and showing off much more fun.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
My dad smoked pipes when I was a kid, and quit sometime when I was in high school. I also had an uncle that always had a pipe going when I saw him at holidays.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My stepdad smoked a Brigham pipe on and off for years. I also have an great uncle that smoked a pipe from sun up to sun down....always had a bowl on the go. :puffy:

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
My maternal grandpa smoked a pipe. He died when I was pretty young so I don't remember much about it.

zachstorm

Lurker
Apr 3, 2015
Florida
That is one thing younger pipe smokers are missing, the chance to absorb knowledge from their environment. This is one of the main functions of pipe forums, to impart the body of knowledge and the culture of pipe smoking to another generation.
This is beyond true. As a younger guy, it's always incredible to see the almost ritualistic care and tradition that smoking a pipe holds. These forums are a constant learning experience :)
And while cigars are a much enjoyed thing among my family, I am the first to take up a pipe.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
My youngst aunt husband started smoking pipes when he was in the artillery in wwii everyone else smoked cigarettes. I learned to play chess from hiim. Later worked with him. Started smoking pipe in hs tried to get father to switch Shel

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I have one uncle who smoked a pipe probably into the early 90's... I should ask him what he liked next time I see him.
Lost to the faded memories of being a little kid in the late 70's early 80's I swear at least a couple of other more distantly related uncles also smoked pipes... their aromatics smelled so much better than the hand rolled cigarettes most of them smoked.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Sounds like Uncle Frank was a cool dude, cobguy.

My mom always told us about her grandmother smoking a pipe to an advanced old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.