PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Every time I decide to tell my wife, "I bought this house, I pay the mortgage and taxes, and damn it, I want one of our 4 bedrooms to smoke in," I think better of it and go outside or smoke in the garage.

Reactions: SaxonX

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Have you ever taken your asthmatic wife to the ER because she could not breathe? I have three times. She is also highly allergic to many things, including smoke. The daughter has similar issues, but to a lesser extent.
With this context, I am glad that I have a detached garage / workshop to smoke in. Once I am done, I immediately go straight to the shower and the clothes in the washer. Everyone is happy.
She would not enjoy the smoking tent at the Chicago Pipe Show.
Winton

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I'm in Denver, well Lakewood actually but I have always smoked outside in the garage even before the wife. I find the heated garage to be a fine place for a winter smoke. Cmdrmcbragg give a shout sometime and we can get together for a bowl or two.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I do feel sorry for you folks who don't have "inside" smoking privileges
Even IF my wife wasn't sensitive to smoke I doubt I'd smoke much inside. Pipe smoking and being outside(preferably in the woods)just seems about perfect to me, throw out the extremes(highs/lows) and there's still a lot of enjoyable outside puffing days in Northeast Ohio.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm often moving from one place to another on my jobs, so in the car my pipe and the morning and afternoon concert on NPR are my companions. If not there I try to get in the lee of the building, and hopefully in the sun....who am I kidding your are never out of the wind and in the sun in the winter :)

Aug 14, 2012
My wife and I are on the worst possible terms right now. So much so that if she were to come north to the house in Woodstock I would probably leave. But during peaceful times the first floor of the house is for smoking, no smoking upstairs.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I don't smoke inside for several reasons:
1. Wife wouldn't allow it

2. I wouldn't around my infant son

3. This is a house we hope to sell in a few years- and in the current climate I don't see anyway I could have a smoking room and not take an enormous hit on value.
I'm in South Dakota- and the winters here get pretty cold- on decent days I'll probably take a short lunt, or sit in the garage with a heater.
I'm with Kashmir- I love days with fresh snow and sunshine…when its not windy it doesn't seem that cold. I'll probably have a few short smokes in that.
Spring and Fall is where my smoking will really live. The summer it gets crazy hot and humid. There'll be winter days that it won't be worth the battle.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Currently fighting the battle in the 31 degree garage. Going to get down to 3 tonight. Really wishing I could smoke indoors.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love the cooler weather (we don't get past 30 degrees very often in the Pacific Northwest).
I can smoke in my shop, but if I'm there I'm usually too busy to smoke, so it's the house for me. My place on the couch is right where the window opens, so I crack it about an inch and settle in.
Even though my wife is an asthmatic, for some reason the smoke doesn't bother her (Winton I feel for you - a severe attack is terrifying) so I'm lucky. If the smoke smell gets a little thick, the windows opens wider, and the fireplace burns hotter.
I'm hoping that when I retire I can make it to the Seattle Pipe Club, but right now it just wouldn't work for me.

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
Garage, kerosene heater and an old recliner picked from the trash gets me threw the cold months.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013

Garage, kerosene heater and an old recliner picked from the trash gets me threw the cold months.
I sit in my garage, in my Mustang GT, listing to the burble of the dual exhaust, garage door closed and the heater on full.
It is funny though, nicotine always makes me way more woozy when I smoke like that.

Reactions: SaxonX

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I live in a moderate winter climate outside of Houston. The late fall and winter nights are usually around 40 degrees. Since I have to smoke outside I use a portable heater that runs on LPG like the ones you see in restaurants. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.