PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
So after seeing that these bowls were quite the love or hate thing, and I own most falcon bowl shapes, I thought why not pull the trigger and get a meer lined one.
Are they any good though?
First off is the bowl size, they are normal sized falcon bowls with a 4mm thick lining of meerschaum, now this is NOT block meerschaum, and that 4mm thick lining does take up a canny amount of space, so if you are looking for a big bowl, you might be dossapointed (falcon classic bowls also come meerschaum lined but as has been said, the meerschaum takes up a fair amount of space.)
Next up breaking in, as we all know block meerschaum requires no break in, but with this probably been meerschaum dust mixed with adhesive the first couple of smokes do have quite a distinctive and odd taste to it, following smokes the taste becomes less so, but, and this is the wierd part, I have found that the taste of even condor is noticeably subdued, now I have only had ten or so smokes in this so maybe in time it will get better, who knows.
So would I recommend these bowls?
Probably not.
Personally I feel these are quite gimmicky, falcon is renowned for providing a cool and dry smoke, which is one of the properties of meerschaum, and considering the lining is even block meerschaum, I'm a little confused at why falcon would do these type of bowls.
But on the other hand, seen as though they have been around for decades they must have some sort of popularity, seen as though they are still being made, granted I have only had ten or so smokes in mine so maybe in time it will get better, it might not, I will keep going with it and see what happens, but if it stays the way it is, chances are it will probably get put to the back of the drawer to be forgotten about.
This is only my opinion mind, if you really want to try one, go for it, they aren't what I would call expensive and you may get along with it better than I am at the moment, but I will keep trying with it and see what time brings but at the present moment, personally speaking, I would say if you want a falcon bowl stick with the briar ones.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have 2 Falcon meerschaum lined bowls (purchased 10 yrs ago) that I use for aromatics. One is a Hyperbole and the other is an apple shaped bowl. Their okay for aromatics, but other types of blends are not so good. Like you, I would recommend the briar bowls. I also have a Falcon block meerschaum bowl (looks like a golf ball) that smokes good and handle all types of blends rather well, but best for aromatics.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I don´t see the necessity either. All they do is decreasing the size of the bowl chamber. A Falcon with a briar bowl is as cool and dry as it gets, so why bother?

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Excellent point.

As I see it if you really desire a meer lined bowl, go with a genoa or the classic lines as if you go with say a bulldog, you are just paying for a narrower chamber and a shorter smoke with really, as I see it, not much benefit at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.