PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Moody Bruno from the Med??
Yep, it’s happening folks, fake pipe tobacco is out there!

Concerned with some pouches I recently got, emailed Mac Barens with some photos. The excellent customer service / quality control team replied this morning, confirming my suspicions.
If you’re familiar with St. Bruno, you’ll notice both the cut & colour of the tobacco is wrong. Loose cut instead of the normal RR. You’ll also notice that the ‘St. Bruno’ part is actually a ‘sticky label’. Mac Barens informs me that on ’NO’ pouch of any of their blends will you find ‘sticky labels’.

Surprised & dissappointed to find out crooks are now faking pipe tobacco as well, I wouldn’t of thought they’d bother, but there we go. Chinese probably. Luckily for me I’m familiar enough with this brand to of noticed. I suspect newcomers to this brand wouldn’t of. Worrying when you think what dangerous toxins & god knows what else they put in it.

Particularly dissapointed that I got these pouches in a trade, with a member from this forum. Considering where this member is the ‘genuine’ St. Bruno only costs between 6-8€, must of been rather desperate to save a couple of euros & buy the fake stuff & try to pass it on to me.
I’ve messaged said member & will see what he says. If no attempt to come good is forthcoming I’ll ask the moderators if I can name him.

Meanwhile, here’s the photos of the ‘fake’ St. Bruno.
3128BAF8-0956-4303-A32A-3F4BC3041F99.jpeg60949044-AB47-45D0-AC12-3C9E899A7EE2.jpeg00BF2A2E-53D1-498D-9256-EE57475863A8.jpegAAF847FB-6CFE-4B9B-97E8-2DC840480092.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't see how doing packaging on cheap tobacco on a relatively low volume basis is much of a money maker. It seems like, for the same investment, you could make some other legitimate product and make more profit. This must be done on some destitute labor market and smuggled back into the retail tobacco market. Still, like much crime, it seems to be more work for less money in the big picture. Obviously, someone thinks it's a winner.

I can understand the knock-offs on $1500 women's handbags, which are run out in sweat shops for $5 apiece and sold for $100. At least the math works. The tobacco? It does not compute.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Yeh, I’m with MSO. That’s a lot of work and expense to make very little money.
Yep, crazy isn’t it. I remember a few years ago now a load of illegal Chinese immigrants tragically drowned whilst out ‘cockle picking’ on the treacherous sands at morecombe bay, here in England.
Turned out they’d been ‘trafficked’ here to work for £1 a day!
Might seem like ‘little money’ to us but it’s a much tougher world for a lot of people out there.

Reactions: marconi

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I would advise anyone reading this to take it with a pinch of salt. I am the user who sent Simong the St Bruno. Simon claims that he emailed Mac Baren and that they told him the tobacco was fake. Simon then tried to extort me for 160£ (nearly 200) with the threat of legal action and naming and shaming. I've asked to see the email itself, but Simon refuses to show or forward it to me. Here's the transcripts of our conversation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-190605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206-190605_Chrome.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20221206_190648.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206_190648.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20221206-190707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206-190707_Chrome.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 69

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I don't see how doing packaging on cheap tobacco on a relatively low volume basis is much of a money maker. It seems like, for the same investment, you could make some other legitimate product and make more profit. This must be done on some destitute labor market and smuggled back into the retail tobacco market. Still, like much crime, it seems to be more work for less money in the big picture. Obviously, someone thinks it's a winner.

I can understand the knock-offs on $1500 women's handbags, which are run out in sweat shops for $5 apiece and sold for $100. At least the math works. The tobacco? It does not compute.
This is my thought exactly. St Bruno is cheaper here than nearly anywhere in the world, and the number of pipe smokers in our population can be counted on one hand. It is likely that this St Bruno is simply distributed for a different market rather than being counterfeit. It would not make sense to counterfeit such cheap, readily available tobacco.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, that is some bs. This has got to be a first. Why St. Bruno? I imagine there are much better selling tobaccos to fake.

Edit - by no way am I blaming the member @highwindows , his intentions seem good and I'm sure the two of you will work this out. Simon is good people, if think he just misunderstood, I've done trades with him in the past. I really hope this doesn't go sideways for either of you. Wishing you all the best.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018
England
I would advise anyone reading this to take it with a pinch of salt. I am the user who sent Simong the St Bruno. Simon claims that he emailed Mac Baren and that they told him the tobacco was fake. Simon then tried to extort me for 160£ (nearly 200) with the threat of legal action and naming and shaming. I've asked to see the email itself, but Simon refuses to show or forward it to me. Here's the transcripts of our conversation.
I wanna know what the trade was now. St Bruno for Mcclelland? What blend was it?

Reactions: TheWhale13
Status
Not open for further replies.