PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here in Florida it was the Republicans who instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, not the Democrats. It is both sides of the aisle who are doing this crap, not just one party.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are right Harris. Here in Maryland, an alcohol or tobacco tax is pretty much universally accepted by politicians from both parties. That's easy tax money and no party fights it.
In my town, they just outlawed smoking at our City Park. One of my neigbors was just on local cable tv spot and I caught him saying "if you blew smoke into a squirrel at city park every day for a year, he'd be dead". What a bunch of hooey, I can't wait till I see this guy at a neighborhood holiday party in a few weeks, we're definitely going to discuss dead squirrels.

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
Still, our Mr. PATRICK in the Bay State seems to NOT to be into such intrusive nonsense...
Dear Fellow Pipefans:
Data's Calabash here — as I'm still looking for work, I'm still concerned about the "excise tax explosion" that was mentioned in another thread, and the fourth post in that thread expresses my feelings about just WHO might be the critical factor in stopping the insane, twenty-fold intent to hike taxes on pipe mixtures.
The current Governor of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick, has NOT been of the sort of Democratic Party politician that existed everywhere through the end of the 1980s, as before that time it seemed that just about ALL Democrats were either of the far-left persuasion (think Grey Davis, Dennis Kucinich or worst of all "the Danged DUKAKIS"), or had sympathized with such views.
Patrick has stated quite definitively, on more than one occasion, that he IS NOT into "micro-managing Bay State citizens' lifestyle choices", and has not specifically legislated any anti-tobacco nonsense in the Bay State, quite unlike Washington State and other "moonbat havens of 'happy town' communities".
Sometime very soon, in doing some "independent research" to find out IF indigenous Americans could be the key factor in stopping the "excise tax explosion" concerning pipe mixtures from ever occurring in the first place by the end of 2013, I DO plan to start phoning up a number of Native American tribal council offices that exist in the two-thirds area of the "lower 48" east of the Rockies (where most all of the tribal groups in the USA seem to exist, that adhere to some sort of tobacco tradition in their cultures), starting with one Federally-recognized tribe right in my backyard, south of Boston. I'd be asking them questions inquiring about their opinion of the proposed excise tax legislation, if they've been informed about it already, and I'd quite possibly take action with helping them learn about the taxation increase — as one example, I'd be ready to give them the Internet link(s) necessary to help them take action against the taxation increase, if they feel if it's in their interest.
I COULD be calling tribal offices as far afield as Montana, Florida, and anywhere else that an indigenous American tribal group would be living east of the Rockies to ask those sorts of questions...but I'd prefer to start "right in my backyard" in southeastern New England to learn about Native American attitudes close by where I live first, concerning the "excise tax explosion" before I plan on calling any further.
Think about it...I've read on other forum threads here before once or twice that in previous legislative actions, the FDA has been strongly advised to consider pipe tobacco to be a "special case" versus "those damned toxic butts", and as pipe enjoyment basically comes from Native American tradition going well back into pre-Columbian times — perhaps as far back as three to nine or ten MILLENIA back in time — the FDA would do quite well to stick to considering pipe tobacco "as a special case" once again, and LISTEN to what indigenous Americans could be about to tell them, provided they (Native Americans) know about what could be coming as 2013 ends in the USA.
Yours Sincerely,
Data's Calabash

Status
Not open for further replies.