Extreme Cheapskates.....Pipe Smokers Edition?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I buy the churchwarden pipe cleaners and just snip off the very end once it becomes black. Though the churchwarden pipe cleaners cost more initially I figure I save about a buck or two a month by doing it this way. Not much savings but I'm sure it'll add up over the next 40 years. More to spend on Pipes and Tobacco right?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Have you done the math on the pipe cleaners that come in coils?
Might be worth a look.
Figure out the cost per inch of pipe cleaner and all that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
msandoval858, I am with you. I just finished loading up a 25 year cellar of pipe tobacco for what I used to pay for one years worth of cigars. I am extremely price conscious when it comes to tobacco prices as every 10 dollars I save is a free tin of tobacco in my book and I have gotten well over 100 tins free by being this way. I am not cheap when it comes to my pipe accessories and use pipe cleaners very liberally.
pipestud, that is pretty sad that people are like that. Trying to trade a Grabow for a Rad is insane. Asking you to ship for free is just plain rude and disrespectful. I have paid your shipping charges and they are more than fair. I guess the pipe just packs itself and runs itself to the post office on it's own, and your time should not be considered.
shutterbug, that was funny.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Before I bought my Zippo, I tried to save on matches. I lit a candle then lit a sliver of wood from the candle as needed.
Winton

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
starcat said:

"The fact that everything under the sun has become

"monetized" and worse yet that its "controlling"

peoples' behavior is a dangerous sign of the times."
There's never been a time in history when goods and services weren't 'monetized' and the costs have ALWAYS controlled behavior ... the only 'danger' that exists in current times is that there are a number of those who've learned to 'game' systems put in place to 'help' poor folks and who're doing their best to take a free ride on the backs of others ...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
My lord Kashmir I thought I was the only one in the pipe smoking world who did that ( I place my used pipe cleaners in a bag, and throw them in with the laundry. Lol. ) :rofl:

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Pipestud, that Grabow story made my night.....can't argue that it is indeed from a fanous doctor,haha, amazing.
Spud, great point about the pipe cleaners that never occurred to me. Something I actually do for my filter pipes (which I don't use filters in) is a tightly roll a napkin and put that through the stem before I clean with a pipe cleaner. This definitely saves on pipe cleaners for my pipes made by that famous doctor, and the napkins are just overflow from my glove compartment.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My lord Kashmir I thought I was the only one in the pipe smoking world who did that ( I place my used pipe cleaners in a bag, and throw them in with the laundry. Lol. )
You guys are joking, right? 8O

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I tried using the dryer but the little rods inside the cleaners got really hot and blistered my fingers. I should have used the cool down cycle.
Best,
Pipestud

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
When I had mentioned to the 'pipe guy' at De La Concha about the great cost of pipes (this is over a year ago) he happily asked me the price of the fine cigars I was smoking per box. Quickly it became apparent that pipe smoking was a bargain.
Somehow, my wife laughs when I mention that fact, especially when a new or estate pipe comes in. LOL

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
+1 for Trailboss... I have employed the pull through method using a fishing line with a bit of pipe cleaner as a patch routine before. It reminds me of cleaning my shotguns.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, show your wife the price of this box of cigars http://pipesandcigars.com/pa19se40anma1.html#.Up5txBpDvcg and then explain how you can buy two estate pipes that will last forever for the same price. Also explain that one tin of tobacco for 10.00 will give you more hours of smoking pleasure than that one box of cigars. I think she will then see how cost effective it is.

Aug 1, 2012
The most I do is mix the odds and ends of tins when there isn't enough left for a full bowl and clip my pipe cleaners so I get more uses out of them. I also try to resurrect estate pipes that by all rights should go in the bin. That last one can be a bit of a wash as it sometimes costs more than the pipe is worth to fix it up.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
cigrmaster said:

"Also explain that one tin of tobacco for 10.00

will give you more hours of smoking pleasure than

that one box of cigars."
I don't wish to be disputive, but for me, there aren't more hours of smoking pleasure in a $10 tin than in 20 toro-sized cigars ... not to mention that for sheer smoking pleasure, Padron 1926 Serie 40th Anniversary cigars are hard to beat with ANY alternative at ANY price ...
Conceptually, however, I agree that one gets considerably more bang for the buck with pipes than with cigars ... which in great measure, is precisely why I broke out my pipes and resumed smoking them again ... after Three Nuns was no longer what it had been, I let my pipes languish and focused on cigars ... economic reality set in though, and I began what is still an ongoing Holy Grail search for what some describe as "The ONE", which is what Three Nuns once was for me ... I'm still smoking a few cigars each week, but have switched to my pipes for about 90% of my smoking indulgence ...

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Wow -- I hope the guys are kidding about washing pipe cleaners. Spend $100+ on a pipe and you want to reuse a 5cent cleaner? Maybe if you're smoking cobs and Yelloboles...
I'm not a high roller by any means, but I can't think of anything "cheap" I do. I keep a few empty tins on hand for when I open a sealed mason jar I've been aging. Throw an ounce or two in there at a time so I don't have to open the jar all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.