PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EnchantedEcho

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
Hey pipe aficionados!

Although we enjoy the process of filling and smoking our preferred tobaccos, have you thought about traveling to where tobacco is cultivated? Visiting these countries could add a new aspect to our enthusiasm for pipe-smoking.

Picture walking among the rich tobacco fields in Kentucky, seeing the careful work in a Cuban cigar factory, or enjoying the smell of new Virginia tobacco right from the land. Every place offers a special journey and more insight into the skill that goes into our pipes.

If you had the chance to travel for a tobacco-inspired adventure, which nation would be your first choice? Do you imagine exploring Nicaragua's wild terrain, delving into England's deep tradition of pipe smoking, or being captivated by the unique charm of tobaccos from Turkey?

Tell us about the places you hope to visit and we can motivate one another to make our dream trips come true.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Picture walking among the rich tobacco fields in Kentucky
I live there and worked on multiple farms for around seven years. Some of the hardest work I've ever done actually. They're actually on a steep decline so if you want to see one, I'd say do it soon. In the early '90s there were over 60,000 farms. Less than a thousand now.

Only a very small percentage of tobacco produced goes into pipe tobacco production.

Last edited:

EnchantedEcho

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
I live there and worked on multiple farms for around seven years. Some of the hardest work I've ever done actually. They're actually on a steep decline so if you want to see one, I'd say do it soon. In the early '90s there were over 60,000 farms. Less than a thousand now.

Only a very small percentage of tobacco produced goes into pipe tobacco production.
It is surprising to see such a big decrease in the farms number. It feels unhappy to watch this significant part of Kentucky's history reducing in that manner. Do you believe there is a chance to revive the industry, or do you expect it will keep going down?

EnchantedEcho

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
I suppose going to Cuba to see the rolling prior to 1990 would be nice but the rolling has since gone to crap so that dream is shot to hell.

I have listened to stories from the past about how popular cigars were before the nineties came. It is unfortunate that so much has changed after that time. The cigar industry there just ain't what it used to be.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia

I had the same work as a kid. Worked on my uncles farm until he died. Ran over by a tractor. I was around 16 or 17 when that happened.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do you believe there is a chance to revive the industry, or do you expect it will keep going down?
Not unless you want to support the farmers with your tax monies. Government subsidies carried the industry in the US for many, many years. I'm sure some will argue for government subsidies even as they decry the accompanying government regulation, which always accompany subsidies. I believe we have enough regulation of tobacco as it is.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Do you believe there is a chance to revive the industry, or do you expect it will keep going down?
Though active for 13,000+ years, I would say in the next 30-50 years that tobacco will only be a footnote in history. Negative public acceptance and legislation is slowly closing the last chapter on tobacco use.

EnchantedEcho

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
Not unless you want to support the farmers with your tax monies. Government subsidies carried the industry in the US for many, many years. I'm sure some will argue for government subsidies even as they decry the accompanying government regulation, which always accompany subsidies. I believe we have enough regulation of tobacco as it is.
Yes, the situation of government support for tobacco cultivation in America is somewhat complex. On one side, it has maintained the sector over many years by helping farmers and securing a consistent market. However, on the other side, many rules accompany this matter and can cause much trouble. I understand that such regulations are crucial for keeping people healthy, but occasionally it seems like too much when you think about how strict they already control tobacco products. Balancing support for farmers and controlling the dangers of tobacco use is complex.

Reactions: AroEnglish

EnchantedEcho

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
Though active for 13,000+ years, I would say in the next 30-50 years that tobacco will only be a footnote in history. Negative public acceptance and legislation is slowly closing the last chapter on tobacco use.
Yes, it is very surprising when you consider the big changes in tobacco's situation over time. It has existed for such a long time, hasn't it? Recently, it seems like opinions are shifting quickly. Considering the health dangers and such, it's understandable that individuals are beginning to avoid it. Additionally, as numerous countries are making their regulations stricter and promoting campaigns against smoking, it seems quite clear what the future holds. It feels a little sad to me somehow, but perhaps it is also an indication of advancement.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yes, it is very surprising when you consider the big changes in tobacco's situation over time. It has existed for such a long time, hasn't it? Recently, it seems like opinions are shifting quickly. Considering the health dangers and such, it's understandable that individuals are beginning to avoid it. Additionally, as numerous countries are making their regulations stricter and promoting campaigns against smoking, it seems quite clear what the future holds. It feels a little sad to me somehow, but perhaps it is also an indication of advancement.
You may find this interesting.

Reactions: EnchantedEcho