Exotic Materials in Pipes

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

My commissioned set includes pipes with scrimshawed walrus ivory, gold, mammoth ivory, moose antler, deer antler, rifle shell casings, birchwood, and steel alloy. The mammoth ivory and walrus ivory are probably the most unique. Maybe the one with moose antler and a band made from the shell casing that killed it a close third.

View attachment 98712
View attachment 98714
View attachment 98713
Damn son, I thought that my hands looked bad after polishing jewelry all day. You are in some serious need of a moisturizer.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Very cool, I am sure it smokes great.
Shamefully, I don't know yet. Been to busy to bust it out. My other two Scottie's smoke like a dream though, so I'm fully confident. The rim is also a built in tobacco crumble catcher, haha. 0 waste loading!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unusual if not exotic, Mountain Laurel was used in the U.S. and maybe elsewhere for briar during WWII, when briar was scarce because of battles in briar harvesting areas. The only carver I know of still making pipes of Mountain Laurel is Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., in the western part of the state. He offers pipe repair online, but he sells his pipes only at the N.C. State Fair in October at the Village of Yesteryear exhibit, and at the TAPS pipe show in April, also at the Fairgrounds in Raleigh. He also works in briar, maple, and in one case cocobolo. I have three or four of his Mountain Laurel pipes. The grain is not as lavish as briar, but it has a subtle glow and smokes as well as briar.

Reactions: OzPiper

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Wow! I'm blown away by all these different pieces. Most especially the Dunhill Thames - I can't help but think back on the ghost wood from the American South that's seldom dredged up and used to craft exquisite violins.

I'm much more utilitarian with my selections, yet one day I wish to commission something that can not only last but has a certain soulfulness to it. Pipe smoking is much more than a mere hobby to myself and I'd like to make something best suited not only for my aesthetic preferences and palate but also what it symbolises. I can think of oak, maybe some black hills gold for the ring and a grainy stem to complement the darkened colour of the wood. Perhaps even olive wood in a classic billiards shape, fitted with a jade tenon and a marble-swirl stem. Something I can take out for a special occasion or even a nicely aged mason jar of tobacco I've cellared...

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
All mine, and all pictured are briar. The top three are all from one carver and the last six are from a large collection of another carver.

View attachment 98643

No real discernable difference from any well drilled pipe. Much satisfaction in knowing that the majority of them were carved just for me though. Meerschaum smokes much like briar but is much lighter. Even my gigantic meer pieces are light as a feather.
That is a very nice collection, I used to have about 50 pipes w about 20 being in the 200-400$ range and my house got robbed and the pipes were stolen that was 5 years ago and I'm still heart broken and my collection never made it close to it's former glory

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a very nice collection, I used to have about 50 pipes w about 20 being in the 200-400$ range and my house got robbed and the pipes were stolen that was 5 years ago and I'm still heart broken and my collection never made it close to it's former glory
I have several more artisans and just as many meerschaums but the set pictured is very special to me as their carver was more family than friend and sadly he passed in the Summer of 2019. If they were stolen I would be devastated.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob