PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I think it's smart marketing to keep the same name. Obviously everyone on here wants the original blend, but that's not going to happen. They will still sell a lot of it. Maybe people will really enjoy their VAbur version of it. Maybe a lot of people won't. When Cannibal Corpse parted ways with Chris Barnes in the 90s, metal fans lost their minds. The man who took his place did just as good if not better. Even though the vocal tone and lyrical pattern changed for the band they kept the same name. The same could be said for this blend.

Aug 1, 2012
I'll give 'em a try if I can get any tins. I have no frame of reference on the originals so I'll be able to judge them on their current merits.
As for same name, different blend...gotta love marketing and nobody should be too surprised at a negative reaction. It's like New Coke or Crystal Pepsi.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Coalsmoke, that description is incorrect. Neither Orlik or MacBaren is producing a perique version of Three Nuns. Synjeco never changed the description from the old VaPer days. Several people over the years, including me, have tried to get them to correct it, but they never would. If they had been selling a perique version all these years, we'd know. I sure would because I've ordered Three Nuns from them since 2000, and in all the years Three Nuns has been a VaBur, that description has remained. And that includes the time Three Nuns was virtually "only" a Virginia/Brazilian blend with no perique and no Kentucky.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
[Begin rant.] With Mac Baren producing the Three Nuns blend with Perique for the European market and the US market getting the non-Perique version, there seems to be more to this story. Adding the US market to Mac Baren's Three Nuns could very well be too much for the supply of Perique that Mac Baren's is/has available or wants to buy. The European market gets the Perique version and we get the DFK version. My question is why even bother? Same goes for Capstan. If it's not the same as the European version, why go through all of the hype? What we are getting isn't the 'legendary' tobacco, just the legendary labels. Without an explanation of why we end up with different versions than the Europeans, but with the same label, I have no other choice than to view this as a cheap marketing ploy. [End of rant.]

I highly doubt that any company would make a blend different for different markets but sell it under the same name. I don't think it has had perique in it for a very long time.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The last time I bought Three Nuns with perique was 2002. I wrote this elsewhere and will repost because it'll give you a timeline on what I know has happened.
Three Nuns was always Virginia and perique and I was buying up lots of tins (200) between 2000 and 2002. In 2003, I ordered ten tins from Switzerland, and the perique was not present in any of the tins. The tobacco in those tins was straight Virginia and Brazilian light. I was told that the company who made it (Imperial) was no longer producing the tin version (sometime later I was told Orlik was the new maker, but I don't know when they started). In 2005, when I ordered again, assured that perique was in the tobacco with the Virginia, I found it was not and Kentucky was its substitute. That's the way it's been since: Virginia, Brazilian lights, and Kentucky.
Btw, it just occurred to me that the new version may not even have the Brazilian component now. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great news! I spoke with the Sutliff rep today about Edward G. Robinson pipe tobacco and doing something with it to promote it. They are going to start selling it in 1.5 tins! Very exciting for me. Why am I announcing it here? Because I told him how many smokers are unhappy that the MacBaren Three Nuns isn't going to be a VaPer, and we had a long discussion about it.
Here's the deal. I will be sending him links to this thread and another on this site, as well as a couple from other sites to the rep, so he can see how much we want a VaPer version of Three Nuns. He said he will talk to his bosses about it. I said I realize the company has already made an investment in the current Three Nuns recipe, but that they should consider putting out a "Classic Three Nuns" with the version we all know and love. Anybody who likes the idea should voice their support now so the power-that-be can see how desirable it is to do this. So, everybody throw your two cents in now! They are willing to listen to us!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I would happily order a tin of the classic. I'm still looking for a VaPer to add to my daily routine of VaPerO, Carter Hall, and straight Va. I think a VaPer would make an excellent evening tobacco and I just haven't found the right one yet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cideryguy, I smoke 4 vapers and enjoy them all very much. They are the following:
Escudo

Solani 633

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Status
Not open for further replies.