PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2015
I have always wanted to smoke a pipe but I just kind of thought it was a thing of the past now. When I started doing a bit of googling I was shocked to see how many people still smoke pipes and all the different types of tobaccos. So I have been reading up on this forum quit a bit this week and I placed my first order on smokingpipes.com last night.

My order: Luxury Navy Flake (1oz)

Lane 1-q (3oz)

Five Brothers (1.25oz)

Ozark Mountain Straight Pipe

Czech 3-in-1 pipe tool

I am so excited to start pipe smoking. Share your thoughts about the order or anything else you think I should know as a newb!

BTW I am located in Ontario Canada. I used First-Class Mail International Parcel as the shipping does anyone know how long it should arrive by?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum! There's a bunch of knowledgeable folks here who can answer any question you have.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome! You've found the right place to learn about pipe smoking. One big thing that I wish I had known many years ago, is to dry the tobacco slightly before you smoke it. Spread some out on a paper plate and let it air dry for awhile (15 to 20 minutes). There are plenty of posts on the subject of drying to look over. Also check out some of the video's on packing and other pipe related topics that are online.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I am located in Ontario Canada. I used First-Class Mail International Parcel as the shipping does anyone know how long it should arrive by?
I'm in Ontario as well, my orders from smokingpipes usually arrive in 7-10 days.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Ha you're so screwed. TAD, PAD, self imposed pipe limits etc. I still remember telling my wife I will not start collecting pipes. Just a few cobs honey. She just looked at me with the yeh sure look.
OK in all seriousness great people in the hobby. The 1Q is one of my favs in Aros, and the LNF is great as well. Just smoke SSSLLLLOOOWWWLLLLYYY. Once you burn your tongue you will know why. The moisture steams up and will "burn" your tongue if you don't smoke slowly. I still forget sometimes and its a really good way to ruin a smoke.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the hobby and this forum. There's a lot of knowledge here so ask any questions you may have. Your first order is quite a variety; good for you. Have fun here; it'll pay big dividends.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Nice article on flakes for noobs and non noobs
http://www.naspc.org/Archives/flake.htm

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Welcome to what may be the best time of your life. A truly special slice of humanity occupy these threads.

This is where the heart comes to rest.

Enjoy yourself and enjoy the process.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Being from micjhigan weare your northern neighbor. You have many fellow members in Ontario. When you read old threads you will find them they can help you with custom taxes. Shel

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome, I'm in Ontario too, down in the Windsor area.

My smokingpipes orders usually take about 6-7 business days to arrive.

Have fun here on the forum. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome aboard! You have a good list full of essentials except I don't see pipe cleaners on there. You'll use (or should use) a great deal of them as it's a good idea to run one or two through your pipe after a bowl. New smokers tend to smoke wet and it's perfectly acceptable to keep some handy to swab out the stem as you smoke. Hope to hear more as you progress!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll be more than impressed with the vast knowledge available here, just sit back and enjoy the ride!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's a good catch on Setterbrace's part--you'll need pipe cleaners. And bear in mind that the ones they make for children's crafts are different from the 'real' cleaners used in the hobby life calling. Welcome!

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Looks like you have a very nice order coming in, Smokingpipes is a great place to deal with I have been dealing with them for years now & they always provide great service & great prices. I'm in Northern Ontario & usually receive my orders in about 2 weeks time. Welcome to Pipe smoking , relax & enjoy . Take your time & you'll learn as you go. I would suggest you start out with 1Q as it is a very nice smooth tobacco that will be easier for you to enjoy. Hope to catch you later to see how your doing with your new hobby.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Delighted to greet you welcome. You will be amazed at not just the knowledge and wisdom under this tent, but just plain great guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.