Everyday Carry Knife - What Do You Carry?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorsmoke

Lurker
Jun 27, 2012
Mediterranean Sea
My everyday carry is an old timer (3blade). At work I sometimes carry a drop point skinner with a cocobolo handle I made a few years back. I get plenty of compliments cause the sheath was handmade by a Boatswains Mate co-worker who included a marlin spike attachment.

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
For me...A Springfield TRP 1911a, a Surefire backup, and a Benchmade Stryker auto. Everytime I walk out door. Seems like alot, but, for me it really is'nt. I carry the 1911 in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster w/ two spare mags in a Galco mag holster... ain't bad at all really.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I carry a full size Springfirld 1911 MilSpec in a Bianchi IWB. It just takes finding the right spot. Although lately, my laziness has taken over and I'm thinking of a S&W Model 60 or a compact 9mm instead.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I carry knives mostly for utility or work. Here in Texas, knives are a historic part of a man's wardrobe and personality, though Bowies are illegal to carry now. I only carry a gun because my broadsword draws too much attention.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
baron, don't forget the S&W 638 Bodyguard. Shrouded hammer 38+P 15.1oz unloaded. $377 free shipping from budsgunshop.com here: S&W 638
15oz and a speedloader or two is good for a lazy day in this Texas heat.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Well, usually a SAK and a Leatherman. But, today I have a Browning liner lock clipped to my pocket and a handmade fixed blade in a self made pink Kydex sheath I finished today. Decided to put it on and see how the sheath rides and if it is comfortable riding where I decided to set it. So far, I like it but the kids laugh at the yellow handled knife in the pink Kydex sheath. Now, where's my spanking belt? :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's a special one. I taught a new candidate his Masonic ritual work and over a couple years, I led him through all of his degrees and taught him all his memory work. When he finally became a Master Mason, he gave me this knife.
IMAG0026.jpg

Here are my Gerber Big Rock and my paracord handled Bowie.
IMAG0027.jpg

And my Claymore
IMAG0028.jpg

petiekas

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Kershaw, Ken Onion, Both assisted open. These are the only knives I carry on a daily basis. I may occasionally carry one of my others but these two are my main knives I carry.

image.cid

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have a couple different knives made by Gerber. Don't carry them everyday, usually only when I'm at work.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
I am partial to the axis lock system on the benchmade's. I carry a mini-grip with D2 steel that was a Cabella's special a shile back.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't carry a knife for protection, I have a different plan for that.

I carry a small pen knife in my pocket and my tool kit on my belt (a Leatherman).

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't carry a knife for protection because it's hard to justify the kind of a mess you are going to make with a knife in court. One reason for this is the closer your "carry knife" is to being a combat weapon, the more likely you are to be perceived by the prosecutor, their "experts" and the jurors as an aggressor. The less like a combat weapon it is, the more useless it is as a defensive weapon. I know it sounds crazy, but in the United States, it is actually easier to prove Self Defense (which is a legal term with specific definitions) with a gun, especially if said gun ran the intruder/attacker off without a shot being fired, which is what happens the majority of the time.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I liked portascat's black cat knife so I decided to order one. It was about $26, made in Solingen Germany by Mercator. I got the carbon steel version, rather than the stainless steel. It's a cool little knife. Very narrow profile, but very tough! It didn't come sharp out of the box, but a few passes on my Double Stuff ceramic sharpener and I can shave with it if I want to.
IMAG0030.jpg

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Holy Crap, guys! I'm part Puerto Rican and I don't carry knives as big as that! Haha! Remind me to call you guys when the zombies come.
Here is what I carry for an everyday, a No 8 Opinel with an olive wood handle:
Opinel-no8-burled-olive-wood-handle-1.jpg

Real simple design (about a 100 years old, I think), real sharp blade (out of the box) and the oblong shaped handle fits nice in the hand. Great knife and I just made myself a leather sheath for it.
I use it all the time (even to cook with) and it comes in quite handy in my wood shop or when I'm doing my leather work. About $20 bucks shipped!
Baron, that Portascat is nice! Does it come in a wood version? Have to check it out.

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
This is my everyday carry knife. It is not a defense weapon...strictly a box opener...but the larger blade is a great cake reamer.
CA263.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
@ sorringowl, The knife is entirely metal and the scales are actually laminated iron (according to their literature). It comes in a carbon steel version and a stainless and I think you get choices of red or black handles. It wasn't very sharp out of the box but I put a mean edge on it with my ceramic and steel sharpeners.
The best place to get it is HERE $27 plus free shipping and it got here FAST.

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
This knife never left my pocket for the last couple of years, but has recently been replaced by a Spyderco Native. I keep the Kershaw near my pipes for cutting up tobacco.
Jackknife%2520Plug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.