Ever just feel disappointed in a tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suppose, in some ways, it comes down to what manner of mind one has about this sort of thing. Mine is very flexible, so I see a number of alternatives in just about any situation, and that also includes matters of palate.
First impressions are what they are, and they may be accurate, but not entirely for the reason so thought.
I hated meatballs and spaghetti as a kid. Found it truly revolting. Found a lot of foods truly revolting. Now I absolutely love many of the foods that I hated when young. But idea of eating mashed peas, which was a favorite when I was a toddler, is now disgusting to me. I used to love heavy latakia blends, and am now fatigued of it.
So I don't agree that it is a matter of some sort of brainwashing to come to like and appreciate the flavor of something that one previously disliked. Taste evolves. Maybe someday I'll even like Penzance. Kind of doubt it, though.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have a box full of tobacco disappointments. If I don't like it at first... maybe a second chance is deserved. If it doesn't happen then... I'm over it.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I'm still trying to figure out how to find woodsroad on the member search.
Let's just say that Semois is the weird cousin of the tobacco family.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Disappointment, indeed. My perceptions and opinions my differ from the next person. In the last crawl I was disappointed in Bald Headed Teacher, but many like it. I trashed it. I enjoy Semois, some don't. Taste is a personal thing and I enjoy trying many different blends. That is where the joy is for me. Finding the blends that "speak" to me is a process that seems to never end. So many blends to try!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
So far, and I've only been smoking the pipe for around nine months, I've found few tobaccos that I didn't like.
Anything with Perique bites my tongue, so I don't smoke it, but I like the taste. Occasionally, I'll smoke some Escudo r e a l s l o w, accepting the (now minimized) burn in exchange for the wonderful taste.'
Lakeland blends have a weird, soapy taste that I wouldn't want every day, but I sometimes find myself craving.
Codger blends are boring but comforting.
I love most English and Balkan blends that I've tried. Dark Fired Kentucky, too.
I Like most Aros, if I can keep them lit and not burn my tongue.
The few things I have really not liked; Capstan Blue, one Stanwell Aromatic (oh, and Spectre), I just assume I'm not smoking right. Well, maybe not Spectre. I'm pretty sure that sucks!
Damn. I apparently have no taste! Maybe I'm just a tobacco whore...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Now I absolutely love many of the foods that I hated when young.
This happened to me, too. Now I love brussels sprouts.
Maybe the Semois needs to go on the shelf. Over time, tastes bloom.
If not, I know a sucker who will swap you a whole bunch of 1-Q for it! haha

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I don't think I have ever been disappointed in a blend. I think any tobacco smoked provides some type of enjoyment. I may have been to the point of being thankful I'm done smoking a blend but never disappointed. It's always a new adventure every time you load a pipe and smoke it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have learned a lot from my disappointments.
With Vincent Manil Semois, it was overcoming my utter skepticism of anything in The New York Times.
At first, I didn't like Royal Yacht either.
In my view, the best way to approach Semois is as a Burley with more of the characteristics of a bright Virginia than Burley would normally have. It is a light, natural taste with moderate nicotine.
I love the stuff (personally) but can see how that might not appeal to everyone.
I mean, I also go hog wild for OJK and C&D's Dark Burley.
But, if I were to have suggestions for re-tasting this tobacco, it might be to condition your palate with other naturals like green/white tea.
I cannot stoop to the "it is an acquired taste" stuff, but it certainly acquired me, as did some other greats over time (Irish Flake, HH Dark Fired, Elizabethan Mixture).

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
i think put it aside and come back to it in a few days,or weeks.I did not like Dunhill Royal Yacht at first and now i am hopelessly hooked on it.I do what you have done but with pipes,what a stupid thing to do:))))

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It has a very specific appeal. Sometimes, it is best in mixed blends. Some of the C&D blends are a nice way to get into it easy and slow, like Engine 99.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums members have been hugely generous sending me samples, so I have gotten to try a lot of blends I didn't buy. I seem to keep a mostly positive attitude, because I nearly always remember the ones I like and go blank on the ones I don't. Most often I don't like blends for being too mild. I don't have to choke and gasp to enjoy a blend, but I do want to taste it. A Forums member sent me a sample and another sent me a package of Semois, and that is one I truly liked, being an appreciator of burley in general anyway. It's true, Semois has a rather horse-stall scent to it, especially when the package is new. But if you enjoy burley, it has dimensions like a blend even though it's just one leaf. But it is polarizing leaf; some are enchanted by it, like me, and other people are sickened.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Disappointed in a blend? No, not really, disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype it may have recieved, maybe. I try to stay objective while trying something new to me regardless of what I've read or heard about it. If I like it, I get more and if I don't then it gets jarred and I'll try it again someday or perhaps give it to someone who wants to try it. Some tobaccos do measure up to the hype and it's cool when that happens but it's a rarity for my average sense of taste. I don't possess the delicate palate that some do so if someone is using terms like delicate when describing a flavor note I know I'm probably gonna miss out. It's a work in progress and my ability to pick up new to me flavor notes are improving but I really have to have the stars line up to get hits on a really subdued recipe. Maybe that's why I'm always drawn to Latakia blends or a hearty VaPer.

Status
Not open for further replies.