European "Codger" Blends Available in Europe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
All Ive seen in Spain was Amphora full and First choice which is a little flavored. Not many. I haven’t looked in France because they want a zillion euros for a bag.
In earlier years, France was a country with a national tobacco monopoly -- only "government" tobacco was available. Same with Mexico. Is this still the case?

I consider Amphora to be goopy, like Borkum Riff, and therefore ineligible for the "codger" lable.

First Choice, from Switzerland, low rated 1.25 out of 4 on tobaccoreviews.com, but only 4 ratings.

1708866625353.jpeg

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
As for non codger blends in burly I highly suggest HU Wakhuwa blend. Its smooth burley at its best. Amazing with a cup of coffee. HH Burley flake is nice too buy a little one dimensional. I guess if you are an all day smoker codger blends are fine. If you sit and contemplate your pipe I dont waste my time on them. Go for the good stuff. Life is short. As a side note, Ive not yet had an HU blend that even starts to bite.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Not mainly burley…However, would you not consider St.Bruno, Revor Plug, or dare I say Clan to be “codger” blends in U.K. ? Pouches, drugstore/newsstand common, readily available? I understand they all have a “dressing” of some sort and have Virginia…just curious? ☕
I dunno. Haven't smoked them, except for St. Bruno, but that was ages ago.
As a rule, codger blends must be burley-forward to protect the tongue, and lightly scented for the ladies.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
As for non codger blends in burly I highly suggest HU Wakhuwa blend. Its smooth burley at its best. Amazing with a cup of coffee. HH Burley flake is nice too buy a little one dimensional. I guess if you are an all day smoker codger blends are fine. If you sit and contemplate your pipe I dont waste my time on them. Go for the good stuff. Life is short. As a side note, Ive not yet had an HU blend that even starts to bite.
While I have ordered pipes from smokingpipes.eu, I now see that no tobaccos are offered.
pfeifen-shop-online.de offers to ship all products, including tobacco, to every country in the world, except USA.
So perhaps there is no way to have tobacco shipped from Europe to USA?

I have a tin of HH Burley flake which I am looking forward to smoking.

Thank you for the HU recommendation!

I agree that heavier blends better facilitate contemplation.

Amphora does have a Burley! And it rates 4.22/5 on smokingpipes.com, which is very good. The descriptions indicate that it may qualify as a codger blend--there is some disagreement as to the level of casing.

1708883571686.jpeg

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I think the edit changed what the OP was asking - low-bite Burley blends. Both of those are straight Virginia flakes.

Also, though storied and historic blends they've always been 'high quality' (I think).
Yes, thank you, someone edited my original thread title, and now one must read my first post to understand my meaning.
Codger blends are burley based and mildly aromatic, with only a touch of virginia and no perique or oriental.
Such blends offer the attributes popular with the common man during the golden age of smoking:
easy on the tongue, burn well, smoke dry, and do not offend the fairer sex.
Examples are: Velvet, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, etc.
Some codger blends were also marketed to roll-your-own cigarette smokers.
They were available in every general store and gas station -- usually in both small tin (now pouch) and larger can (now also plastic tub).
Codger blends are also termed "drug store blends" or OTC (Over The Counter) blends.
In later years, they were displayed alongside imported goopy aromatics such as Borkim Riff and Amphora, which tempt the naive smoker with strong pleasant aromas.
Pipe blends slowly disappeared from general stores as, state by state, increasingly restrictive tobacco laws were enforced, and pipe smoking fell out of general favor.