PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Just came in yesterday and still in the refurbishing stages. After removing the bowl charring and much of the cake I found a crack in the bowl and a scratch on the top. Does it look bad and in need of repair or should I just let it be. With the amount of cake that was in it I'm assuming the owner before me kept on puffing. The stem has deep bite marks in it even after a first round sanding. Any ideas on what to do about these two issues?

a66597f5.jpg

c8e49bed.jpg

beb841e5.jpg

a757279c.jpg

b08a88cb.jpg

e391b883.jpg

7d92b25d.jpg

All in all I like it and amazed at it's size. The biggest bowl I hive now.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I doubt it is fixable, I would say smoke it until it starts to leak or something, than maybe seal it with beeswax.
The other thing you can do is use pipe mud or pipe cement. There is a very detailed thread on those two thing, either use the search bar or search pipe mud vs pipe cement in google

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Yep..pipe mud. I did just that to a billiard I have, filled it with pipe mud & I'm gonna smoke it till she splits. :D

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The bite marks may come out with a little heat. Put pipe cleaners in the stem and use a candle. Heat the bit, some times they have a little memory. Dont catch it on fire please.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Ok I made up some mud and smeared it in there. Gonna let it dry out for a few days. Hopefully I'll have the stem done by then. Thanks for the advise.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Mud in your crack.
Smoke slow.
I would live with the bite marks.
But if it erks you then dip it in boiling water for a few seconds to see if it rebounds.
Smoke her til she splits.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A hobby type hot air blower may a safer way to apply heat to the dents.

This particular one is also great for drying out a bowlful's worth of tobacco.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Well I tried the flame treatment tio the stem. Brought them out a little bit. Guess I can live with it. Did the best I could with hand polishing. How did I do?

ac1a1755.jpg

f5b1c739.jpg

85403eac.jpg

df81de4c.jpg

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
The other thing you can do is use pipe mud or pipe cement. There is a very detailed thread on those two thing, either use the search bar or search pipe mud vs pipe cement in google
I agree with jchaplick, tried pipe cement before with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Series Dr. Watson and worked great. you may give a try. keep us informed mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.