PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Good evening I wanted to ask a few opinions here regarding estate pipes

Recently I have purchased a few estate pipes on line.

Makes were Dunhill, Castello, Heath brand. All smoke ok

Haven’t purchased a new pipe since last year.

Wanted to get a few opnions here if new pipes have better smoking
Quality.

I’m thinking to let the estate pipes be .

Thanks

Good evening I wanted to ask a few opinions here regarding estate pipes

Recently I have purchased a few estate pipes on line.

Makes were Dunhill, Castello, Heath brand. All smoke ok

Haven’t purchased a new pipe since last year.

Wanted to get a few opnions here if new pipes have better smoking
Quality.

I’m thinking to let the estate pipes be .

Thanks

I collect (if you can call it that) both. Some pipes like my meer or my doctor grabow have had countless outs of smoke through them prior to my using them. They’ve been “conditioned” which takes in my opinion hours upon hours to achieve.
As for new pipes, I still get them as it’s fun to build up the cake and watch them age.

I say buy both!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I buy both. My view is that the mechanics of the pipe and the quality of the materials determine its potential to be a good smoker. Therefore as already noted there are good and poor new or estate pipes.

I buy pipes that appeal to me, pipes that I think I will enjoy restoring, pipes that will challenge me to learn and develop skill while I am restoring them, pipes that have interesting history, pipes that have personal meaning...wait so many reasons...the PAD can be overwhelming. Thankfully I have strictly limited myself, only new or estate pipes.

M

Merton

Like many others, I buy both and probably am just about evenly split. However, there is a special pleasure in breaking in a new Castello. There is some discussion that a new Castello smokes a tad too bright. Maybe it does, but I enjoy it and, because Castello gets about the best briar and does not coat the bowl it is an entirely, for me anyway, pleasureable experience. I also would suggest that you always buy estate pipes from only reputable dealers such as SP, marty pulvers and others. The notion of buying a less than pristine restored pipe is disgusting and you don't know where the sellers hands have been.

• Haha
Reactions: aquadoc and jpmcwjr

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I almost always buy new, but a couple of the most interesting pipes in my collection we’re bought “estate.” I have a gourd calabash with an orific, amber stem I would never have found on the “new” market.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.