PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeorganark

Lurker
Jul 12, 2014
I recently purchaced an estate pipe at a local flea market. I am a bit curious about the maker.

Specs: Briar, smooth brown finish, stamped with "London Made Briar", vulcanite stem with gold embossed "S". This pipe was particularly clean when I bought it, so I think it was hardly smoked. But when I clean the stem oxidation came out and made it smell like burning tires. So I'll have to work on that. Otherwise It's a decent pipe. Pics below.

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not so sure about the Peterson idea. Did Peterson have an era when they made pipes in London? I thought

they were strictly a Dublin outfit. But I'm not up enough of English pipes to come up with an alternative English

pipe manufacturer.

pipeorganark

Lurker
Jul 12, 2014
There is a crescent shaped stamp mark a few characters ahead of "Briar". Could this be "OLD"? If the strike wasn't perfect, could it have been a cast off?

Looking at the PipePhil site, this "S" looks very much like the Sharrow "S", but I can't get a close enough look at the thumbnail.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some Pete's were London made (I have a Pre-Republic stamped that way). While that looks similar to the Shamrock Peterson logo, those were stamped "Made In The Republic of Ireland".

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-s6.html#shamrock
That's a nice shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.