PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I recently purchased a walnut pipe rack from a guy locally, and the sale included his dad's old pipes. There were several old cob pipes, some from Irvin S. Cobb (H&B). Others need restoration and/or a deep cleaning, but my favorite piece was a Celius Bishop (12) Freehand pipe, images below. The stem has a hole in it where the fellow chewed it, and so I'm going to have to figure out how to get that repaired.

IMG_0392.jpeg
IMG_0393.jpeg

There were about 14 pipes in all. Others include a couple of Dr. Grabow pipes and a Medico pipe. There are a few I haven't been able to identify with the markings so far. Several seem to be in decent shape, but a couple have cracks in the wood.

At any rate, I think the one pipe is worth the whole purchase if I can get it repaired.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
That looks nice. You will get great advice here on repair; you may want to search and peruse to see what you find.
Also internet search for : reborn pipes. I've seen great advice (as a non-restorer) there.
And you'll also likely get references to professionals if you wish to have it done for you.

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
You may wish to tackle the repair yourself. It's very rewarding to repair an old pipe and bring it back to life.
I might. My main concern is that, never having done this before, I would ruin the pipe. I might do one of the others in the box before tackling this one. Or, since I really like this one I may ask a pro to do it and take my time learning on the others.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I might. My main concern is that, never having done this before, I would ruin the pipe. I might do one of the others in the box before tackling this one. Or, since I really like this one I may ask a pro to do it and take my time learning on the others.
If you are really concerned, head to ebay or etsy and grab a cheap estate or two to try your hand at it first.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Lots of good tips on Rebornpipes
Steve Laug documents each step with before and after photos
Al (moderator @ssjones) posts on that site too

Reactions: AroEnglish

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can super-glue fill stem holes, but I'm not a big fan and skeptical on their longevity.
See Steve's articles on the Reborn Pipes blog, he goes into great detail on this type of repair (you'll need Black Superglue, Stew-Mac a guitar build place sells this, and get the accelerator).
George D has recommended a different type of rubber glue, from Amazon, he says is more like vulcanite. I cannot recall the product.
I would perhaps cut the stem, and fashion a new button, versus a hole repair. Those freehands aren't terribly valuable or sought after these days, so no harm is likely done!

Celius pipes were highly regarded in the 1990's and early 2000's, when Freehands ranged. From memory, a Bishop was mid-grade

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Some of the restoration ideas I see on the forum concern me. I am not referring to anything in particular to be clear and not necessarily in this posting. My concern: I see so many chemicals and products being suggested without any knowledge of the safety. We put the damn thing in our mouth and heat it up!

Also, we go into nuance about how minor factors change the taste, and then some are willing to completely change the substance and character of a pipe with no regard.

I guess I should not be surprised after so many people stated they would smoke an asbestos pipe.

Don't mistake this for a complaint, I am just shining the light on this fact. I actually love it, as it makes this hobby and forum so much fun! Disregard me and carry on...

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Doc chopper is right. My free suggestion is to use two part clear FDA certified medium set time 30 min epoxy mixed with very fine powdered vulcanite. I have a box of old vulcanite stems. Sand down a donor stem with 220 3M wetordry paper and make dust. Blend with epoxy. Fill hole over a few times to build up. The remachine the airway and shape with fine files. Polish with FDA wax. I blend my own but there are commercial food service waxes.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
Great post from Doc Chopper.

I don't use any chemicals ever. Everclear for the inside and olive oil for exterior shine when needed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're not going to ruin the pipe. At most you'll ruin the stem, which is already compromised. Depending on where, and how big, the hole is, you can fit a rubber stem protector over the bit and seal off the stem that way. Or you can try patching with Cyanoacrylate, otherwise known as super, glue, or epoxy, for a temporary fix that could last years or minutes. They don't make a great bond with vulcanite, but with a bit of judicious shaping of the walls around the hole so that enough of the walls form an inward facing wedge, it may stay in place. Just make sure that you have something inserted in the airway so that the fix doesn't fill it.
Otherwise, just replace it. Since the stem is compromised, the value of the pipe won't be lowered by replacing it.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I don't know if you can get Black Milliput in the USA, I have had excellent results with it, if not, Black Superglue is also a good filler, lovely pipe you have there, good luck with it.