PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By buying Estate pipes you keep the second hand market prices higher.
Not necessarily. I went through a Savinelli 904/9004 shopping spree last year, and out of 18 pipes, I only paid more than $30 on two of them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Demand on used items sends ripples through the market.
When Dr. Dre began rapping about his '64 Impala in 1993, the price tripled in a year. After everyone chopped them up to install hydraulics, the price doubled again and one is now hard pressed to find an unmolested specimen.
I'm going to buy up all of the estate Kaywoodies before I drop my rap album called Kaywood In The Hood. Then, I'll sell them off for mad profits.
Remember, you heard it here first. Don't miss the boat...
jay-roger.jpg

Duane, if the demand for Savinelli estates were so high, that it drove prices up into the 100's, then the prices of new ones would go up. But, since Savinellis are so affordable to begin with, you really never have to pay very much for a Savinelli. Maybe if you were Dr, Dre you could make the prices go up, but it would have to take a mad demand surge to push the prices up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, if the demand for Savinelli estates were so high, that it drove prices up into the 100's
I was mean and highball bid on one last year for fun. The end auction bidding was amusing.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"After everyone chopped them up to install hydraulics..."
There's a particularly hot place in hell for them sonsabitches.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Lol! Okay, okay! Uncle! I tap out! I surrender! I concede! The estate market is a wonderful thing for all concerned! I will continue to buy estate pipes with glee! Thank you all for setting my mind at ease on the subject. Now, where was that Castello Collection... :wink:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Damn, Warren, it almost sounds like you're paraphrasing that old joke, "We're all whores, now we're just down to dickering over the price"! :rofl:

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
When you buy an estate pipe,you’re buying a pipe that’s already in circulation.The maker made his/her money long ago.Go ahead and buy that estate.You’re saving a nice pipe from the flea market death basket,baking out there in the sun,or maybe even the dumpster.As long as you’re not stealing it outright from it’s rightful owner,I don’t see an ethic problem.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
More along the lines of biting the hand that provides your retirement check every month. It just pains me a bit when someone forgets that publicly traded companies are owned by a bunch of people, all dependent to some degree on the fiscal health of that company.
But, if one sells their physical or mental skills for remuneration well ...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"More along the lines of biting the hand that provides your retirement check every month."
I feel ya, Warren, just dishing out a little good-natured ribbing, as usual. For the record, that's the same way I feel about people who make their living on the dole bitching about "the rich", or people who earn minimum wage bitching about how much they pay in taxes. The irony abounds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The estate pipe market may temper the prices at the upper end of the pipe market. I hope it doesn't tap down Dr. Grabow sales; that would bother me. Or Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion cobs. But if estate pipes balance some of the crazy high pricing at the up-market end, that might be a good thing. A Becker pipe is probably worth every dime. But many other up-market pipes are priced to make you queasy. An alternative source may provide some balance. Or I'd like to think so. Fair competition is good, healthy.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
A difficult one, should we support the maker or look after our pennies and buy estates. Suppose this is why the local tobacconist has died in the UK!

Very difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.