PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I have been on the lookout for one of these for a while and last week I finaly hit the trigger. Its an Old Church size XXX and sadly the silver band makes putting a manufacturer date on it impossible but it has a very rough, early dunhill-esque finish so if I go by my feeling I think this is an older example. But Propably not a 1983^^ Ill try to get a good closeup of the Nomenclature so maybe someone could help me with putting a manufactury date on this one. In the meantime, here are some pictures:
Dqgqb3gXQAEKtoR.jpg

DqgqpS_WwAAwRCh.jpg

Dqgr7QLXgAAfwej.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love my XX size Ashtons, nice pickup! Yep, the band is over the date stamp. I don't know if there was differences in the logo style between eras, so dating is a challenge. But, Old Church finish pipes are usually natural in color, so that looks like a Bill Taylor mistake!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bravo. I've visited the Ashtons online for many moons, but I think I have my desirable shapes covered. I really like billiards, and that's a beauty.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Have been giving it its inaugural smoke with some english flake and it smokes as well as it looks.^^ The Idea that this is somehow a miss-stain makes it even more special in my opinion. The dark stain was what caugth my eye in the first place and I find it very fitting. Also from the feel the stem seems to be made from Ashtonite not regular vulcanite.

Status
Not open for further replies.