PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Briary closed?
I thought so too. It was kind of spotty catching him open even after he posted that he was open. But he has hired some help, He said that he currently isn't doing online sales, but I am not sure for how long or to what extent.

edit... of course he said that, but as I tested out his website, it seems to be taking money. I would recommend calling before placing an online order just to make sure.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Without waring, Lane BCA begins trading for several times its value and suddenly, the forums are filled with threads lamenting the passing of Lane and extolling the virtues of their tobacco.
Absolutely! We've seen this most recently with McClelland. When they were around thy had their ardent supporters, but they were rarely mentioned in Forums, except for a few blends, like Dark Star, Christmas Cheer, or one of the Frogs. Nobody loved all of their blends, some were popular, some were not. They tried to make a quality product in a very traditional old world manner with their own spin.

McClelland closes up shop after 40 years. There is wailing and rending of cloth, various Stages Of Grief, conspiracy theories, resurrection myths, the ascension to a higher plane, all the components to form a new religion. People tithe by paying 8 to 10 time the original sticker price for a tin of it. Give it a couple of hundred years to ferment and people will erect basilicas to McClelland.

None of this is the doing of the company. It's all the creation of pipe smokers.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Ok, I was at The Briary yesterday, and I asked Skip if when he placed his latest order of Esoterica and Germain if they made him take some pipes to seal the deal. He laughed, said no, and asked me why I was asking. I told him that someone here had mentioned that the distributer was forcing B&M's to take Nordings along with the Esotericas.
He first said, "that just goes to show that forums are full of shit headed morons that don't know their asses from holes in the ground." :::cough cough::: Skip doesn't like forums or social media. Then he said, "it sounds more like something that would happen if someone made the order with the owner of Arango's wife, instead of the dude himself."

Take that as you like, but he said that he didn't have to make any deal on pipes to get his order of Esotericas.
With Ernie from WCC stating otherwise on a public forum, we have competing hearsay.

I suppose it only matters if you are in the market for the blend, have the funds to purchase some but not enough for a lower range pipe, and found a retailer with the tobacco in stock and not willing to budge on terms.

With Ernie from WCC stating otherwise on a public forum, we have competing hearsay.

I suppose it only matters if you are in the market for the blend, have the funds to purchase some but not enough for a lower range pipe, and found a retailer with the tobacco in stock and not willing to budge on terms.
I don't think Skip was saying that Ernie was lying... and, knowing Skip, he would chalk it up to himself being the better businessman, ha ha. But, it doesn't matter one bit to me, one way or another. What happens on the wholesale side of retail in an industry where I am merely the retail consumer doesn't really concern me.
Skip also used to spit in the floor at the mention of C&D or smokingpipes, probably still does, I just haven't tested it in a while. I thought it was hilarious, but it has only endeared me further to smokingpipes and C&D. If the dude doesn't want to carry my favorite tobaccos, it only means that I will shop where I can get them.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, I was at The Briary yesterday, and I asked Skip if when he placed his latest order of Esoterica and Germain if they made him take some pipes to seal the deal. He laughed, said no, and asked me why I was asking. I told him that someone here had mentioned that the distributer was forcing B&M's to take Nordings along with the Esotericas.
He first said, "that just goes to show that forums are full of shit headed morons that don't know their asses from holes in the ground." :::cough cough::: Skip doesn't like forums or social media. Then he said, "it sounds more like something that would happen if someone made the order with the owner of Arango's wife, instead of the dude himself."

Take that as you like, but he said that he didn't have to make any deal on pipes to get his order of Esotericas.
Skip is correct, it's BS. Sorry Sable.

Skip is correct, it's BS. Sorry Sable.
Which part was he correct about? Us all being morons, or that a business only had to buy the pipes to get Esotericas if they dealt with the owner of Arango's wife?
I mean, he could be right about both, or just one or the other... or maybe he is lying and had to actually buys some Nordings, but he didn't have any Nordings that hadn't been there before he got the Eso drop.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Which part was he correct about? Us all being morons, or that a business only had to buy the pipes to get Esotericas if they dealt with the owner of Arango's wife?
I mean, he could be right about both, or just one or the other... or maybe he is lying and had to actually buys some Nordings, but he didn't have any Nordings that hadn't been there before he got the Eso drop.
The pipe story, it just isn't true.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If Ernie says, as he publicly has, that he's required to purchase pipes to get Esoterica to sell, from what I know of the guy, I'll believe him. It's not a new practice. In the film industry it's called "block booking" and it was going on as far back as a century ago.
When I briefly worked in the clothing manufacturing business, makers would send out clothing that wasn't included in the original order and bill for it, to move some of their duds. The retailers would accept this to get the more popular clothing. Happens everywhere. Who wants to face the consequences of their bad choices?

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Don't know Ernie or his motivation or his relationship or the numbers he spends with Arango. If he doesn't spend a lot of money with them then maybe they would do something like that. Let's face it when you are the only distributor of a product that sells out in a day.....you can pretty much do whatever you want. Especially if you aren't a big spender with them.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I can’t imagine, having actually read Ernie’s post in the other forum, that he would misrepresent the information and risk his reputation. It is quite possible that his requirements were very different than the Briary. Ernie‘s post was thoughtful and apologetic and consistent in its representation. I noticed other larger suppliers attaching a pipe purchase requirement as well. I would caution being mindful not to post second hand comments. Ernie’s post was first hand information and I would encourage anyone doubting him to reply to his post on the other forum. Best to seek clarification with him where the statement was first made.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I can’t imagine, having actually read Ernie’s post in the other forum, that he would misrepresent the information and risk his reputation. It is quite possible that his requirements were very different than the Briary. Ernie‘s post was thoughtful and apologetic and consistent in its representation. I noticed other larger suppliers attaching a pipe purchase requirement as well. I would caution being mindful not to post second hand comments. Ernie’s post was first hand information and I would encourage anyone doubting him to reply to his post on the other forum. Best to seek clarification with him where the statement was first made.
Which forum did Ernie make the post? I’m interested in reading what he wrote.

I don't know Ernie, nor where he works, nor do I have such unlimited time to participate on multiple forums... but I find it odd that a business owner would come on and complain about a deal he made with his distributor. Just say that if you want my Esotericas, then buy one of these pipes. Or just eat the pipes. But to come out and basically put blame on his distributor, he is throwing his source under the bus. That kind of shit, I would just keep quiet about or just stop carrying the product. Sounds petty to me.

But, like I said, I don't do any business with anyone named Ernie, so I have no idea where or what this place is. And, I really don't care to branch out beyond forum sponsors to do my business, so... grain of salt and all of that.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don't know Ernie, nor where he works, nor do I have such unlimited time to participate on multiple forums... but I find it odd that a business owner would come on and complain about a deal he made with his distributor. Just say that if you want my Esotericas, then buy one of these pipes. Or just eat the pipes. But to come out and basically put blame on his distributor, he is throwing his source under the bus. That kind of shit, I would just keep quiet about or just stop carrying the product. Sounds petty to me.

But, like I said, I don't do any business with anyone named Ernie, so I have no idea where or what this place is. And, I really don't care to branch out beyond forum sponsors to do my business, so... grain of salt and all of that.
Ernie runs Watch City Cigar and is a respected blender. He wasn't complaining, just reporting. Here's his post: http://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/esoterica-will-be-coming-soon-but.17344/. Hopefully you can read it and feel smarter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.