PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I read ASP regularly in 1997.
1. They've always had trouble keeping up with demand...

Not to my recollection. I smoked a selection of Esoterica blends from 1996-1998. I don't ever recall any of them being difficult to find. I could order them online or find them at a well-stocked shop, no problem. Esoterica didn't have huge distribution back then - my local, small shop had never heard of them. But Iwan Ries always had a full shelf when I visited.
2. Stonehaven and especially Penzance have always been the most popular blends.

Penzance yes, but I don't remember anyone talking about Stonehaven back then, or even for some time afterwards. It may have been mentioned somewhere, but it definitely wasn't a thing. I took a break from following pipe smoking online from 2004'ish until recently, and it wasn't until returning here that I remember hearing about it. Penzance was their flagship blend for sure. But if I had to pick a runner-up it would be Dunbar.
They're good blends for sure, and certainly the small size of the operation contributes to the scarcity. But it's hard not to see some degree of consumer psychology at work here.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
I remember whining that Stonehaven was not a tinned blend and therefore below my notice. Fortunately, I bought some and stashed it away, nevertheless. I definitely recall Penzance being the scarcer of the two in the early aughts.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
'The prices it brings now' are $32-40 at most places for an 8oz bag

Exactly, but like most things in high demand, if you want it NOW you will pay considerably more. If you are willing to be patient and do a bit of work it can be had for $35 a bag. I think a handful of people are paying high sums for these blends and getting too much attention, skewing the perceptions of others and the whole thing starts to snowball. We should all listen to Aaron Rodgers and just "RELAX" :wink:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
You are right Justin. My problem, admittedly, is that I am too lazy to call around and hunt for it. I don't support any B&M enough to ask them to get it for me.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Penzance yes, but I don't remember anyone talking about Stonehaven back then, or even for some time afterwards. It may have been mentioned somewhere, but it definitely wasn't a thing.
Again from the alt.smokers.pipes group:
Mark, in 1996:
Can anyone out there provide any reactions --pro or con-- to Esoterica's

Stonehaven mixture? I haven't yet been successful in obtaining any; it

seems to be in very short supply, which is probably a good sign.
Irwin Friedman's response:
Stonehaven is one of my regular smokes. It is on the full side. It

doesn't have the perfume of Condor and other Irish processed Virginia but

it certainly has the strength. I would describe it as more full than

Capstan full strength.
It is definitely worth the wait to get a hold of some.
Greg Pease, 1999:
I've smoked some other tobaccos which are not as

strong, but have made me anywhere from dizzy to severely ill. Nightcap

is one of those. I really like the way it tastes, but I can't smoke

a full bowl. Ditto Stonehaven, a wonderful Virginia that makes my nose

sweat in short order, and the ensuing symptoms are to unpleasant to

recall, let alone share.
It showed up on a couple of lists of top tobaccos in 1997 and 1999.
Irwin Friedman in 1996:
Some of pipe smoking friends have rightfully accused me of smoking

Virginias that are overpowering. Are there any other fans of really

full, rich matured Virginias out there? I enjoy Stonehaven from

Esoterica Tobacciana and Gawaith and Hogarth's Dark Birdseye among

others. If anyone else has suggestions or experiences I'd appreciate

hearing from you.
There are also great reviews of the blend before 2005 on tobaccoreviews.com.
The scarcity is obviously a much bigger issue these days. And Penzance probably always was THE Esoterica blend, though I suspect that's due to most smokers of quality tobacco preferring latakia blends over Virginia flakes. Among Esoterica's non-latakia blends, Stonehaven seems to have been the most highly regarded for a long time.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Esoterica makes some great and unique tobaccos, including Penzance and Stonehaven, but also Margate and Dunbar. My first bag of Stonehaven was generously given to me by peckinpahombre and I picked up another from Iwan Ries a while back -- that will last me for a long time, so I'm not chasing it at the moment.
Dunbar is a great VaPer with a really unusual musty tang to it that I really dig, so that's the one I'm always on the lookout for.
Are they overpriced? Yeah, some of them, at least for my needs, but there's really nothing quite like them, either.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Dunbar is a real treat for me also. I like it quite dry. It's flavor is too muted with even a smokable moisture level.

zzeman

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
I remember mail ordering Penzance from a B&M on the East Coast back in 1998, when I couldn't find any in the Bay Area. I stopped smoking for a while, and since I've started again, I haven't even bothered trying to get Penzance. It had been my favorite, but it just seems like so much trouble now, and there are so many other good blends try.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Why anyone would counterfeit $20's when the could be counterfeiting Stonehaven, I don't know. The eBay prices are just silly. But, then again it does present opportunities for the enterprising.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the replies. I now know what the deal is :)
Personally, I thought my post about the antique John Middleton meerschaum pipe would have drawn more interest.
Actually, I smoke Penzance regularly and it is easily one of my favorites. Margate is also a fine smoke. I enjoyed ASTB though it does have a slight aromatic quality that is difficult to pinpoint. Had about an ounce of Pembroke earlier this year and wasn't blown away by it but would try again.
Stonehaven however, reminds me that I don't care much for blends that are lacking in a decent amount of latakia. I purchased about three ounces in bulk this year and went through about an ounce before I decided to put the rest away. I plan to visit it again in a year or two and see what difference that might make on my impressions.
All this said, I have never paid more than six dollars an ounce (a bargain in my opinion) for any of this and I agree with others who suggest supporting your local shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.