PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Smoking some 2001 Escudo that I picked up from pipestud a few months back. I have never tasted a tobacco so tantalizingly delicious. Makes me want to go out and buy and age another 100 tins.
For all those who say that aging can't radically transmogrify a VA based blend into an other worldly delight, you are just wrong.
This pic I found really says it all.
3Xi1S6J.jpg

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Have yet to try Escudo. Everyone buys it all up before I have a chance! Glad to see you are enjoying it though.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Wow Peck! That looks mighty tasty!

I agree, Escudo is a top notch tobacco, that being said, I still prefer Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (and yes, I can tell a difference between them).

That also being said, I've never experienced Escudo with that kind of age on it.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have 50 tins in the cellar, with a plan to smoke X tins each year for the next Y years. I just haven't solved for X and Y yet.
That picture of aging Escudo is very cool.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
So it looks like from your picture that Escudo was made with a dark tobacco 9 years ago and a light tobacco 2 months ago.. they're always changing the formula aren't they... :wink:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
On the 7th day, God made Escudo and said "Smoke this shit, it's top notch," and then he rested.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Haven't got my hands on any Escudo but just cellared 5 tins of Capstan blue to age a bit. I will have to order some Escudo cause finding it up here is tough.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Escudo is to notch stuff. I prefer it to Dunhill Navy Rolls, as they edge a little more to the peppery side. I've been thinking about setting up an Escudo v. Dunhill Navy v. Stokkebye Navy? showdown, aging them for 5 and 10 years, to see how they age as compared to one another.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Wow, I haven't seen a comparison picture such as that. Impressive the drastic change, I wouldn't have expected that in less than 10 years.

B

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've been smoking down a stack of DNR tins I got on sale, but probably going to try Escudo next due to the cost difference (cheaper than DNR on sale even). If it's as close or the same as most people say, I'll be happy. But I'm not waiting 9 years or even 9 days to smoke it. That's nuts to me. How it tastes out of the tin is how it tastes, if I like it I'll buy it again.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's a very neat comparitive photo.
I'd never seen that one online ... thanks for sharing!

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
Escudo is one of my favorites and I always try to have some aging in the cellar. I only smoke one tin a year though. I always pop a tin open on Thanksgiving day and smoke until the tin is empty. Right now I only have 6 tins left (enough to last until about 2019), so I better pick up another 5 pack. That extra 5 tins would mean I would have enough to last me until I turn 67. Hmmm, maybe I better pick up 10 extra tins.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The first tin I tried was right from the store. No aging at all. I loved it immediately. Of course, I ordered more. Now I am just letting it sit there, tempting me, while I delay gratification.

I can't see myself making it a daily smoke, but not because it isn't worthy, but because for ME, that would constitute excess.

I've found that just having it available comforts me, while I experiment and hunt for other delicioulites.tm.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I really enjoy Escudo, but have always smoked it without aging. Now with Peck's pic, I am going to have to pick some up and stay away from it. That is the tough part.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am really wanting to try this and a few other navy blends. Eventually I will, budget for this month and next are taken already.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Love me some Escudo as its an excellent tobacco. For those that enjoy Escudo you should try Davidoff Flake Medallions if you haven't done so already. Its not exactly the same but similar and is very good.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, Escudo... First tobacco that I ever bought extra tins of for cellaring. My first tin was bought at a B&M, and I smoked it right out of the tin. Marvelous stuff. Then Smoking Pipes had a sale, and I picked up 5 tins, marked the date on them with a Sharpie, and opened one (which is still in its jar - I'm smoking this tin a little slower than the last one).
Current plan is to continue to buy more tins so that I always have some on hand, and so that I'll eventually have a goodly stash of aged Escudo. Yum...

Status
Not open for further replies.