PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Excellent !!! I'm about 35 mins into my first ever bowl of Escudo and it's a keeper. Very nice. Sweet and spicy. Not bitey. Smoke it slow.

Smoking it in a Pete 264 Aran straight. Small bowl but still got about 1.5 coins in it. Outstanding. Wish I had bought more of this. Folks if it gets better with age, wow !!!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have a tin in the mail also - how large are the coins &
do you guys rub out the coins or leave them in tact & roll 2 coins & stuff the roll vertically into the chamber -
3 nuns has some coins but small & not many - mostly loose fill - i just rub them out

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I normally rub my coins out, no matter what blend after giving a little drying time. Then again, I usually do the same thing with flake tobacco as I've never had much luck with a fold and stuff albeit I've not given up on it. But... no big thing.
Excellent !!! I'm about 35 mins into my first ever bowl of Escudo and it's a keeper. Very nice. Sweet and spicy. Not bitey. Smoke it slow.

Smoking it in a Pete 264 Aran straight. Small bowl but still got about 1.5 coins in it. Outstanding. Wish I had bought more of this. Folks if it gets better with age, wow !!!
Yep, ya can't miss as long as you smoke it slow as otherwise you might confuse tongue bite with the somewhat 'peppery' taste of Perique if its your first time encountering it. That, and aside from the fact, that its a Virginia tobacco which must always be smoked slowly. Something I always have to keep in mind as I'm admittedly somewhat of a 'chugger'.
Seems everyone is suggesting a smaller chamber. I'm assuming to snugly accommodate a single coin.
Most of my pipes have what would be considered as a relatively 'small' bowl, but I seriously doubt that one coin would be sufficient. Damn, if I wasn't so lazy I would like to start keeping some notes on what tobacco seems to smoke best in certain pipes as I've definitely come to the conclusion that it can indeed make a difference Then again, I'd also like to re-paint three rooms in my home, clean out the garage, build a deck, etc., etc,. :wink:

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
smokertruck, you will be happy with the Escudo. The size of the coins is just a little smaller than a half dollar, between a quarter and the half. I just folded and stuffed. I did let mine dry in open air under a ceiling fan for about 10 minutes but not sure that was necessary at all. I really enjoyed it, leaving it a few times and coming back to it while I took care of things that I needed to do. I smoked it off and on for about 2 hours. Smoke it slow. This seems to me, to be a tobacco that needs an opportunity to sit and smolder and slow burn, much like the other flake VA's that I've smoked. Just my opinions. Enjoy !!!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I smoked single coins the two times I've had it. I think of it as "sampling" as I wanted to take a measured approach to trying it out. Next time I'll load up the whole pipe, which should be just about two coins.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
What "type" pipe makes the best pipe for VaPer's?

For me, I try different tobaccos in different pipes until one stands out, then I smoke that type in that particular pipe for a while. No rules for me really, and more art than science.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'll be getting mine this week....bringing me up to around 25 or 30 tins aging... love this stuff

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
I got 10 tins of Escudo from 4Noggins and bombed 2 to a BOTL in need. I haven't tried Escudo in many years so hopefully I'll be able to make a comparison.
Not all VaPers are the same so selecting a compatible pipe might not be consistent among your own collection.
If I want to accentuate the Perique I'll smoke it in a sandblast or carve with at least moderate walls and if I prefer to taste the Virginia I'll use thick walled smooths.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Got a stack of DNR when smokingpipes had their 4-for-3 sale on Dunhill. When it's about gone if I can't find a good deal on it, probably will give Escudo a try since the concensus seems to be it's quite close if not the same.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Nice review and great pics! I have a tin of Escudo that's just waiting on an empty jar - haven't tried VaPers yet, I've been completely distracted (and enthralled) with Lat blends. I have a Peterson Canadian just waiting for it... :)

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Got a tin of that, from 2011, set back in the pipe cabinet. Holding on to it until my son leaves the Navy, or decides to make a career out of it, as a celebration.
Not a huge Va/Per fan, but they do have an occasional place in my life. And since I don't crave them, or smoke them often, they are quite an easy thing for me to purchase for aging.
As a side note, I also have a a few plugs of Kendal Black sitting in a small bail type jar, aging. I have zero idea how they will turn out after 10 years or so, but I guess I will know then.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
As a former squid, thank him for his service if ya get a chance. I did 5 years, and a part of me wishes I had stayed in. I know my bank account sure misses the paychecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.