Ennerdale Flake

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

This is a serious question, if you have a hunch: do you think it is because more people are buying, because people are buying MORE, or because MORE people are buying MORE of blends boosted here? My hunch is towards option c): more people are buying more because of some blends' rare/famous status, fear of missing out, and trying to hedge for the future, inadvertently screwing the rest. I've long thought that a tin/amount limit would at least curb casual buyers who can't be bothered to make 1000 additional gmail addresses, and somewhat help the situation.
Maybe your right Karam…. I cannot give you a definitive answer with data to back it up, but I’ve tried Ennirdale. It is a good aromatic. Now, a good aromatic is like saying “a good daytime soap opera” to me. Sure sure lots of people loved General Hospital or One Life to Live, but they were never my cup of tea. And, if I am ever stuck with just 3 channels of soap operas and no PBS, I mightleave one on just to have some background noise. But, I’m not going to get into why Janie Sue is following Dr Gonad when he clearly loves Emily Perkytits. It’s a fucking aromatic. You guys even have @saltedplug wishing he had tried some back when he smoked. WTF?! Ha ha. Salted would shoot you guys in the face after trying it.

It used to set on the shelf till you couldn’t read the label for dust. We made fun of it and those GH&co aromatics mercilessly. Of course, smoke what you like, like what you smoke nowadays. Ok…

But, as to why people are gobbling up every piece of shit coming out of that small GH&co factory, It is unique in flavor. And, people are so surprised when we get the rare and long awaited GH&co drops, that they go fucking insane.

But, yes, it is an aromatic. Maybe one that appeals more to some men than the usual Sutliff aromatic or even Danish aromatic, but it’s still an aromatic, no matter how you justify it.
Maybe dig around into some of the larger companies aromatic portfolios till you find one you like…. if that’s how your tastes lean.

But, as I’ve said…. it’s just entertaining watching guys pop themselves in the foot and getting mad about the pain. Ha ha. Maybe blame the ammo retailers….

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
But, as to why people are gobbling up every piece of shit coming out of that small GH&co factory, It is unique in flavor. And, people are so surprised when we get the rare and long awaited GH&co drops, that they go fucking insane.

But, yes, it is an aromatic. Maybe one that appeals more to some men than the usual Sutliff aromatic or even Danish aromatic, but it’s still an aromatic, no matter how you justify it.
Maybe dig around into some of the larger companies aromatic portfolios till you find one you like…. if that’s how your tastes lean.
That's cool. I personally don't like the term aromatic, and thought "flavoured" is more accurate, but I would be lying through my teeth if I said I do not like GH/SG heavily flavoured stuff. Hell some of them are among my top tobaccos. I haven't put my finger why exactly that is, it's a combination of being really unique, complex and chewy tastes, and the fact they sit on a background of very good, and strong tobacco rather than watery Cavendish. Other aromatics or flavoured stuff just don't do it for me. I know the Danish taste, and get bored of it very fast! Dunno, these GH/SG stuff just work for me and many others.

I suspect there are a lot of buyers who probably puke at the smell but soldier on, and keep buying because they are "rare", they want to flip, they want to hedge... A bit like 13 year old kids who try to shave and sport a pencil moustache just to look more like grownups and end up looking young and silly instead! Seriously these people, if they do exist, should do good to learn a bit and not deprive the rest who really do appreciate that special British saucing for what it is!

That's cool. I personally don't like the term aromatic, and thought "flavoured" is more accurate, but I would be lying through my teeth if I said I do not like GH/SG heavily flavoured stuff. Hell some of them are among my top tobaccos. I haven't put my finger why exactly that is, it's a combination of being really unique, complex and chewy tastes, and the fact they sit on a background of very good, and strong tobacco rather than watery Cavendish. Other aromatics or flavoured stuff just don't do it for me. I know the Danish taste, and get bored of it very fast! Dunno, these GH/SG stuff just work for me and many others.

I suspect there are a lot of buyers who probably puke at the smell but soldier on, and keep buying because they are "rare", they want to flip, they want to hedge... A bit like 13 year old kids who try to shave and sport a pencil moustache just to look more like grownups and end up looking young and silly instead! Seriously these people, if they do exist, should do good to learn a bit and not deprive the rest who really do appreciate that special British saucing for what it is!
I don’t put it anywhere near dark flake scented or a rope. To me, it is a lakeland companies attempt at making a Danish aromatic that more Americans might like, in the American aromatic market. The only thing different is that instead of using food flavorings, they’ve used perfume stuff to simulate food stuff. Most likely a chemical by product of some sort. You can find all UK additives if you dig deeply in those EU docs. They have to fully disclose by EU laws.

But, there are a few GH&co aromatics that Seem just like a Sutliff or Lane offering to me, except they are harder to pinpoint the exact flavor. That’s just my take on it.

Reactions: karam

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The one thing I have never understood about pipe forums…. Well, the one most prevalent to me at the moment…. Is that there is a hard to find blend because it sells out so damn fast, you finally get some by being in the right place, right time…. And you LOVE it. Then you come on here to pitch it, what, hoping to further increase demand for it so you’ll guarantee that you’ll never ever find it again? If people don’t like my blends that I love dearly, I THANK YOU, not admonish you. Anything other than that is stupid.
It’s like people work against their own best interest, for what? Getting people to agree with you?

And people criticize me for my posts, for what? Being real? And people think I don’t understand economics. If you all were smart, you’d just let people NOT like it. It’s ok to not like something. It’s the best thing you could do to ensure you’ll be able to find more of this aromatic stuff later on. puffy
Exactly. It wasn’t too long ago, everyone bagged on Lakeland blends, that’s when I was able to stock up on the stuff, they always had large quantities in stock save Dark Plug but Ennerdale and all the heavy hitters you see being talked about now, we’re never hard to get. If you want to stock up on your favorites, it’s best not to hype it up in the forums. This is sound advice, keep it on the low down, or the down low.

But do what you want I guess, I’m done with the hunt. You all can fight over the hard to get stuff.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I love Ennerdale, but only smoke it when I've got the itch. Consequently I've felt no need to buy pounds of it. I've got a small stash.

I get what @cosmicfolklore is saying, but why the hell are we on a pipe forum if not to talk about what we like? I guess I'm in the crowd that doesn't moan about blends being hard to find,the few rare or harder to get blends I enjoy are all the better for me because there's a bit of a hunt to find them, they're something of a precious commodity and therefore I'm forced to ration and slow down when smoking them. That's the game.

It's the same on a local fishing forum I'm part of-guys will post pics of beautiful fish they've caught and then refuse to say where or how they caught them for fear of their spot being overrun...yet, it's Ohio and every fishing hole is overrun and crowded, that's part of the game here and by hiding discussion and trying to keep things a secret, all that is achieved is protecting knowledge that may help someone's enjoyment-and people join discussion forums to gain knowledge of things they enjoy.

Now all that being said, I'm not telling anyone what small retailer I find my tins at, or what particular drop-off I landed that nice walleye from, but I will say a blend is good, and that I caught it on a perch colored Hot N Tot.

I love Ennerdale, but only smoke it when I've got the itch. Consequently I've felt no need to buy pounds of it. I've got a small stash.

I get what @cosmicfolklore is saying, but why the hell are we on a pipe forum if not to talk about what we like? I guess I'm in the crowd that doesn't moan about blends being hard to find,the few rare or harder to get blends I enjoy are all the better for me because there's a bit of a hunt to find them, they're something of a precious commodity and therefore I'm forced to ration and slow down when smoking them. That's the game.

It's the same on a local fishing forum I'm part of-guys will post pics of beautiful fish they've caught and then refuse to say where or how they caught them for fear of their spot being overrun...yet, it's Ohio and every fishing hole is overrun and crowded, that's part of the game here and by hiding discussion and trying to keep things a secret, all that is achieved is protecting knowledge that may help someone's enjoyment-and people join discussion forums to gain knowledge of things they enjoy.

Now all that being said, I'm not telling anyone what small retailer I find my tins at, or what particular drop-off I landed that nice walleye from, but I will say a blend is good, and that I caught it on a perch colored Hot N Tot.
Talk about whatever you like, don’t like, or whatever. I mention my favs all the time. I just don’t hard sell it, and I especially appreciate it when someone doesn’t like what I like. Heck, I love when people disagree with me.

Some blends that may be frustrating to find, I have a 5lbs rule…. For them, I just keep my mouth shut…. till I have my 5 lb or 20 tin quota, then I feel free to mention them. But this is just me.

But, by all means, do as one wishes. I’m not telling anyone how to post, just offering my opinion.

But, when the next GH&co smash and grab happens…. lets see what runs out the fastest. I was able to grab a mere 1 lb of this one this time, because it wasn’t the first to run out.

Reactions: eljimmy and Jaylotw

One of the nicest parts of having a creek running through my property is that I just have a small walk to the hole. The big lakes around here are like fishing in a traffic jam of boats, but all of the better places that you to walk to never seem to have any fishermen. Here at least, it doesn’t make sense to use a boat, IMO.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Talk about whatever you like, don’t like, or whatever. I mention my favs all the time. I just don’t hard sell it, and I especially appreciate it when someone doesn’t like what I like. Heck, I love when people disagree with me.

I know you and I like a particular cigar blend a lot, and when it's out of stock, I know it's you who bought it all. :LOL:

Like I said, I get your point, I just don't worry about it.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
My lord. I just read this entire thread having read the title as, “Erinmore Flake”. I could not for the life of me figure out what all of the commotion was about.

“Hey guys, Erinmore is in stock, calm down”

Ennerdale is a good, unique aro as has been said.

In my opinion, G&H and SG are one of the flavors of the week right now. They got scarce, and they got hoarded. If we keep getting large, consistent drops, the hoarders will calm down and not clock ‘buy’ on another kilo of ennerdale when they realize they’re still working through their first tin and have 4kg in the closet cellar. If drops get delayed or are small and there is any word of “we didn’t get what we ordered, they are delayed/ rationing/ whatever” then the process starts all over. For better or worse, scarcity sells right now.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well I wasn’t paying attention when I quoted you. LOL ?

The post is for Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Ennerdale Flake. ;)

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
One of the nicest parts of having a creek running through my property is that I just have a small walk to the hole. The big lakes around here are like fishing in a traffic jam of boats, but all of the better places that you to walk to never seem to have any fishermen. Here at least, it doesn’t make sense to use a boat, IMO.
Same with hunting, if I walk a quarter off a road, I won't see another hunter.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have been smoking Ennerdale Flake for over 40yrs, it was great when I first found it and is great to this day, luckily I'm in the UK and I don't know how it is when is shipped, form what I gather, in the US you store it for years, me, here in the UK, have never ever stored tobacco, I buy it straight from G&H and SM, same company now, through my online dealers, fresh as it should be, neither G&Hor SG would release tobacco that is not ready to smoke. I have been smoking a pipe since 1965 and have never found the need to store tobacco, I dry it and that's it, some more for some blends. I grew up with Pipes and learnt how to keep tobacco, just buy it when you need it, don't store it, if you do it will not be like it should be, do you think that Blenders release a tobacco that should be stored for years to be smokable ? no they release it when it is smokable. Sorry I don't understand this storage thing, never heard or known any pipe smokers in the UK boasting about how many years they have stored a tobacco, we just smoke it, that's what pipe smoking is about. puffy

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
Well, Ennerdale was something special, alright. But, for my tastes, it is now a much lesser blend than it was, at least the last time I smoked it, in pre-pandemic times. I didn't know what had happened until I joined this forum and read about the changes at GH&Co. At that same time I noticed also the changes in #7 Broken Flake and Dark Bird's Eye, which were then my favorite GH&Co blends. I threw away an entire 500g of Dark Bird's Eye, it was so bad. Haven't had any in years, now.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
Sorry I don't understand this storage thing, never heard or known any pipe smokers in the UK boasting about how many years they have stored a tobacco
Many don't do it for aging. They do it to hedge against favorite blends being discontinued and rising cost.

I would also add that we're hedging against the increasing amount of restrictive laws, fees and taxes our government enacts. Not to mention that availability of certain imported blends are inconsistent. As a result, we get what we can, when we can get it.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Well, Ennerdale was something special, alright. But, for my tastes, it is now a much lesser blend than it was, at least the last time I smoked it, in pre-pandemic times. I didn't know what had happened until I joined this forum and read about the changes at GH&Co. At that same time I noticed also the changes in #7 Broken Flake and Dark Bird's Eye, which were then my favorite GH&Co blends. I threw away an entire 500g of Dark Bird's Eye, it was so bad. Haven't had any in years, now.
What was the difference between the new and old Birds Eye?

Reactions: FLDRD