PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Opinions? I went ahead and got two ounces of it in my emergency accessory order. My Girlfriend lost my favorite cleaners and I lost my Tamper.
Honestly I am just really happy to be trying it (even if I hate it, I'll be happy to know). Also got the old standby Five Bros, but that's just the pipe tobacco equivalent of water. Something you will die if you don't have for too long.

Reactions: Winnipeger

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
More often then not I end up in the LOVE it camp. For me it is the widely loved ones I find meh at best. CAPSTAN for example. I figure jump on the deep end. At worst I have some emergency pipe rations.
Yeah, why the hell not. What I will say, is it definitely has an intimidating tin note. Rest assured the smoke will not taste like a bar of soap.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I absolutely loved it back when you could taste mainly the sauce.
I'm not a fan of Empire leaf (I love American brightleaf), so now that the sauce has either diminished or changed such that the taste of Empire leaf is much more noticeable, I don't love it so much.
It smells the same in the pouch/tin/jar, but it does NOT carry over to the palate in the same way that it used to.

The authorities can deny all day long that this is true, but I tried old and new stuff side by side and I'm sure. And many others think the same.

I do love the sauce. If I could get it on an American brown or dark flake, I'd be in heaven.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I am a fan. I was suprised to find I really like the lakeland essence and wish it was more heavily doused, as in the stories of old. My gateway was Bosun Cut Plug. I liked that clove flavor and aroma. Ennerdale and Grousemoor I enjoy. And I am not a big (cavendish) aromatic guy. But I love some flavors on other tobaccos.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
ENNERDALE IS THE REASON PIPE SMOKING WAS INVENTED!!!

Lakelands are notorious for batch variation. That is part of the charm of British workmanship. (The name that really struck fear in the hearts of certain generations of us more recent former colonials was Lucas Industries, which made the electrical parts, such as they were, commonly found in British cars).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
ENNERDALE IS THE REASON PIPE SMOKING WAS INVENTED!!!

Lakelands are notorious for batch variation. That is part of the charm of British workmanship. (The name that really struck fear in the hearts of certain generations of us more recent former colonials was Lucas Industries, which made the electrical parts, such as they were, commonly found in British cars).
Lucas Prince of Darkness! I am well acquainted with that fellow having owned many mid 1930s British motorcycles.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I absolutely loved it back when you could taste mainly the sauce.
I'm not a fan of Empire leaf (I love American brightleaf), so now that the sauce has either diminished or changed such that the taste of Empire leaf is much more noticeable, I don't love it so much.
It smells the same in the pouch/tin/jar, but it does NOT carry over to the palate in the same way that it used to.

The authorities can deny all day long that this is true, but I tried old and new stuff side by side and I'm sure. And many others think the same.

I do love the sauce. If I could get it on an American brown or dark flake, I'd be in heaven.
who knows about the sauce. Even if they apply it the same if any of the supply they use changes it could effect the whole package. I guess my point being while being deceptive they might not be lying. The essences they use can have as much variety in a single scent as there are in a single variety of tobacco leaf.

Reactions: edger and SBC

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I am a fan. I was suprised to find I really like the lakeland essence and wish it was more heavily doused, as in the stories of old. My gateway was Bosun Cut Plug. I liked that clove flavor and aroma. Ennerdale and Grousemoor I enjoy. And I am not a big (cavendish) aromatic guy. But I love some flavors on other tobaccos.
I know I love the lakeland essence in nasal snuff. But nasal snuff aroma and pipe tobacco flavor are two related but not the same beasts.