PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A Lakeland tobacco that costs $15 per 50 gram tin from Smoking Pipes.

Ennerdale is made of Virginias, Burley, and sun cured tobaccos with flavors of almond, vanilla, and fruit.

I’m loving this stuff. It’s a flake that burns easily, and produces huge clouds of floral, berry, nuts, fruit, and candy flavored smoke without much sweetness. The aroma is heavenly.

It’s sort of a British Mixture 79.

If you like extremely aromatic tobaccos you’ll love this.

Every experienced pipe smoker should have some of this as a change of pace smoke.

Next time it goes in a Lee. The cob was a precaution against ghosting a good pipe. If you smoke Cherry Cavendish in the pipe, this will work just dandy.

There’s a good dose of nicotine in this blend, it satisfies, and won’t bite.

No wonder those limeys smoke this.:)

5E9343CA-7105-436B-8FC1-D4FB4361866D.jpegA5BE5B76-CE3F-4A0A-BE26-ADFC64800D68.jpeg9AEF37EC-0A52-4486-A2C1-BE3A1FE78192.jpeg00513D4D-393D-48BD-AE59-2E63061FF745.jpeg

Attachments

• 6CBC7AC3-F243-43AC-9AFD-75114E829763.jpeg
    6CBC7AC3-F243-43AC-9AFD-75114E829763.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 3

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've always been hesitant to try this blend. I've had some of there twists and Louisiana Flake and a few others but the reviews are somewhat misguiding because some says it's the bees knees buy the some people say old lady perfume. So I'm wondering how was the taste to you Mr Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've always been hesitant to try this blend. I've had some of there twists and Louisiana Flake and a few others but the reviews are somewhat misguiding because some says it's the bees knees buy the some people say old lady perfume. So I'm wondering how was the taste to you Mr Lee

Notice I loaded up one of the dozen factory second Missouri Meerschaum pipes I bought when I toured the factory.:)

But I was expecting perfume and geraniums and instead enjoyed an aro bomb that exploded with all kinds of fruity flavors, sort of like a Cavendish minus the syrupy sweetness.

I think the tweed jacket Britons that drink hot Guinness stout beer and smoke Latakia laced English blends don’t smoke much Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish.:)

If you like candy flavored aromatics this is good stuff, just not sweet.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I tried 3 or 4 "Lakeland" blends a few years ago.. ordered 1 oz each from SPC.
For the most part I tolerated or even enjoyed the flavors, but they all bit the hell out of my tongue.

Reactions: Briar Lee

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Ennerdale is not how it used to be. I have tins from 2017 and the current batch seems a tad light on the Rose Geranium sauce. The people at Gawith swear that nothing has changed so maybe I am getting senile. If you want an interesting Gawith blend I have found Bob's Chocolate or C.H flake is pretty good, along with No:7 Broken Flake, Coniston Cut Plug and Bosun's Plug.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Ennerdale is not how it used to be. I have tins from 2017 and the current batch seems a tad light on the Rose Geranium sauce. The people at Gawith swear that nothing has changed so maybe I am getting senile. If you want an interesting Gawith blend I have found Bob's Chocolate or C.H flake is pretty good, along with No:7 Broken Flake, Coniston Cut Plug and Bosun's Plug.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Ennerdale and Coniston are my personal favourites. Bob's Chocolate is a little savoury despite its name because of the hint of Latakia in it. They're all good. Everybody should try them all.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
It seems like the reports of weaker sauce started a year or two ago, around the time they also had to switch tin suppliers. Is there any chance that poorly-sealed tins are allowing the sauce to flash off?

I suppose a fresh tin with good suction but still weak sauce would disprove all that…

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I haven't tried Ennerdale yet, but can vouch for the intriguing flavor of Grandma Charlottes Avon cabinet that is the aromatic component in Coniston cut plug. It's like when you were a kid and hated Flintstones chewable vitamins compared to candy, but then found yourself demanding your vitamin every day somehow. Now you wish you could just come up with a few for old times sake. It really grows on you!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Thanks for this post. It’s an avenue I’ve not yet explored. Perhaps 🤔 a 1 ounce sample of Mixture 79 is in order. Then, Ennerdale.

There’s an English gent on YouTube called the Peddling Piper who swears by his Lakelands. Oddly, this man has an appreciation for Granger. Being he’s demonstrated he’s a man of good taste… he’s piqued my curiously towards Lakeland’s.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
From all the stuff I've tried since coming back to pipe smoking Gawith Hoggarth & Co. has the most unique catalogue and consistently good tobaccos across the board. I've been very pleased with everything I've gotten from them.

There's always a lot of wistful pining about blending houses from days gone by, especially from new smokers who missed out on the olden days. Well, GH&Co. is cut from the same cloth as a lot of those old blenders that's around right now and selling bulk tobacco. Their recipes may fluctuate, I've experienced it myself with slight differences in Ennerdale across a year and a half, but they've all been a joy to smoke.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’m not a big fan of either the Lakeland scenting or of higher-nicotine blends; Ennerdale hits the sweet spot for me, with a noticeable but mild scenting and a nicotine level I can live with without my Apple Watch constantly telling me my heart rate just jumped up. Both it and Kendal Cream (which, if I’m remembering correctly, has a bit more scent and nicotine to it) would be excellent introductions to the Lakeland style.

And, yes, I’ll second @minerLuke, who also praised GH’s Bob’s Chocolate Flake. Another one of my favorites.

Reactions: Briar Lee