PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
This is an eternal question and goes to the definitions one uses or the tastes one experiences. Upfront I’d argue against hard and fast rules.

English Blends:

Artisan Blend Ashton
British Blend Peretti
Gaslight GLP
HH Latakia Flake MacBaren
Latakia Flake McConnell
Nightcap Peterson
No. 6 Orient Newminster
Pirate Kake C&D
Quiet Nights GLP
Omega Peretti
Red Stag C&D
Spark Plug GLP
Westminster GLP

Balkan Blends;

Balkan #10 Brebbia
Balkan Sasieni STG
Balkan Supreme Arango
Byzantium C&D
Izmir Turkish C&D
Miskatonic Mixture C&D
Odyssey GLP
Oriental Silk C&D
Oriental No. 40 Peretti
Plum Pudding Special Rsrv Seattle Pipe
Sunset Harbor C&D
Tashkent Peretti

Of course there are many more but these I have tried.

When one looks at the ingredients for each blend, the calculation issues emerge. If X is in the blend does it automatically go to a category? Maybe and maybe not.

I love Westminster, Gaslight and Quiet Nights but to me they are different in kind with Odyssey, Sasieni, Tashkent and Plum Pudding.

Not sure categories matter but new smokers might be trying to sort it all out.

Reactions: Scottmi
Balkans are a subcategory of what we call English, but I prefer to just call them latakia blends. What distinguishes a Balkan is the heavier use of orientals. My understanding is that Balkans started out emulating the original Balkan Sobranie. So, the Balian fan is looking for more of a kaleidoscope of flavors than just your traditional “English” or Latakia blends.

But, so many blenders just use these terms loosely that it’s hard to tell what you’ve got till you try it.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
Balkans are a subcategory of what we call English, but I prefer to just call them latakia blends. What distinguishes a Balkan is the heavier use of orientals. My understanding is that Balkans started out emulating the original Balkan Sobranie. So, the Balian fan is looking for more of a kaleidoscope of flavors than just your traditional “English” or Latakia blends.

But, so many blenders just use these terms loosely that it’s hard to tell what you’ve got till you try it.
Totally. Why i keep collecting tobacco and giving each my own rating scale. Not complaining! Hugely fun hobby.

Aromatics — is it or isn’t it? Hard rules don’t work all the time.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This guy would like a word:

003-059-0015.5777.jpg

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I have decided to treat these subjective issues as such

English: Virginia + Latakia+ XYZ
Balkan: Virginia+Oriental+Latakia+XYZ
Scottish: Virginia+Latakia+Cavindish+XYZ

The XYZ here represent smaller spice level components, like dark fired, perique. etc

This helps me.

Edited to fix the mix on the balkan

Last edited:

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
English Oriental Supreme didn't make the cut I see. I used to love that stuff back when I smoked latakia.
I agree with Chasing - I think it's a marketing term mostly. Though I've always associated it with Oriental-forward latakia blends.
Just blends I’ve tried. A lot I have not tried.

I suspect blenders try this and that and don’t work that hard on keeping clear definitional lines. If a touch of Latakia goes into Greek and Turkish tobacco does that force them to call it a Balkan?

Not sure it matters. I’m talking to myself here. Not caring much for scientific accuracy. Thanks for the feedback!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I will concede that Oriental tobaccos are Balkan by origin, but not by blend classification.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
So, Balkans have Latakia in them and Orientals have NO latakia - is that correct?
Always wondered the difference!
I don’t think there is any guiding rule to this one except for what the manufacturer wants to put on the label. The McClelland “Oriental no. X” green cans, for example. Some had Latakia and some didn’t, if I recall correctly.