PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
article-2073246-0F21C0F700000578-29_468x302.jpg

I think we have an invented term for a tobacco blend, which is in fact English, and was historically part of the English blend category.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hate most English blends, but love Balkans.
I have mixed results with Latakia-heavy blends. Sometimes Orientals-heavy mixtures round that out. Same as with dark fired, I suppose... at some point, too much of it dominates a blend.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Wow! I'm humbled that my little post of two days ago has generated so much commentary. Many of you have added great clarification.
lochinvar: you have just added yet another dimension; that being Scottish. Darn it, now I have yet another type of blend to try. When does the bleeding stop!!

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I love a good oriental forward blend.
While smoking Rattray Red Rapparee, or for that matter, Robert McConnell's Original Oriental, I noticed on the back of both tins, they are described as a medium English mixtures.
Go figure.
A Scottish blended English mixture of mainly oriental leaf. Or is it Turkish? Must be Balkan.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Prepared from choice Red Virginias and heavily flavored with Orientals, giving it a red tinge.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/961/rattray-red-rapparee
Must try this someday...

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Deathmetal,
RRR is not typical English. More on the sweeter side of Balkan. Lat is way in the back.

One of my favorite medium smokes. The orientals shift from sweet to sour to spicy.
Robert McConnells is very similar, less sweet with a bit more strength.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Greg Pease wrote an excellent article about it as was mentioned my Chasingembers, along with that I also wrote this article sometime back:
The Mystery of Balkan Blends
For those who read it, there was an update in the comment section that I received from Mary McNiel. I will post it here so that it won't get missed from the comment section of the article:
UPDATE:

I have received an E-Mail from Mary McNiel from McClelland Tobacco. After reading the article she said that her comment to the last question did not come out as she had intended it to. I am posting what she said in her E-Mail so that everyone can read it and see what she really meant.

-

Mary Said:

“As I read my last comment, I see that it was too strong. I don’t actually believe that the Balkan tobaccos have to be the main focus or even the dominant feature. I just think they should be pronounced enough in the blend to be really noticeable and contribute their special qualities significantly to its overall character.”

Status
Not open for further replies.