PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I have a Savinelli canadian that measures: about 7 in. in length, with a chamber measuring 0.83 X 1.69 in.
My question is, can I smoke English blends in a pipe like this. I know it is quite deep and it is not considered the norm for English and Balkans, but it is a pipe that I really like smoking and it just gives me a nice feeling when I smoke it. Will I be sacrificing or missing something in terms of what the blend can deliver in another pipe considered more suitable for those types of blends.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Go ahead and smoke what you want in it. I've never really subscribed to having any one style of pipe for particular blends. If you like the results then that will be great. Compare the experience to another pipe and see what your impressions are. It's all about experimenting and having fun while doing it. Good luck and happy smoke rings.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I think the issue is not so much the tallness or depht of the chamber but the width. A wider chamber provides more surface to burn and therefore all the nuances and complexities of a blend can be better appreciated. People tend to associate a squarer ratio of height vs width ideal for English/Balkans, and most of the time they're right, but a 0.83" Canadian will perform as well if not better than a 0.69" Squat Bulldog. Enjoy your smoke and let us know how it went.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I smoke English blends in my Savinelli 711KS and Rossi Rubino Canadian all the time ... no rules! :puffy:

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I think the issue is not so much the tallness or depht of the chamber but the width. A wider chamber provides more surface to burn and therefore all the nuances and complexities of a blend can be better appreciated
I was recently given this advice in another thread and In2nd the motion. The way I look at it now, deeper is longer to enjoy.
I have a Randy Wiley Dublin that I don't smoke often because of the 15/16" X 1-7/8" chamber, but a blend like PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is truly a joy to smoke in it.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I agree with CobGuy, No Rules.

If you enjoy the smoke in a certain pipe by all means smoke it. In my opinion I doubt

you would be missing much, if anything.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It seems like a perfect pipe for english blends. If you're concerned about depth, try using the airpocket method of packing. You simply make a ball of tobacco and pack it in your pipe to sufficient density that there will be a gap below, but allowing for a proper draw.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Bigpond: Thank you good Sir for the simple explanation of a method I have imagined and thought of so many times, but never tried, simply not being aware it existed and was approved in the pipe world. " The Airpocket method" is a term I came across on this forum recently, but I was not aware what it was and was a little embarrassed to ask. It works perfectly although I do not think I got it perfect the first time. It needed some serious tamping about 10 minutes in, but yes, it is great. It's been a while since I have had a decent smoke, always getting a little carried away on the " man's hand" part in the three step method. Thanks for helping ! As for the smoke, I don't know, I had a hectic day at work, not that pleasant, came home, had about 4 shots of whiskey in 10 minutes and now having a bowl of Nightcap. I really can't tell if it is a great smoke, but the pipe certainly smokes good. I might be abusing or "pushing" NC a little. I need a break, or a holiday...:))

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
RP:
I love Canadians and have a half dozen or so. I also love Latakia and smoke it exclusively. There are no hard and fast rules with our hobby - just guidelines, brother. So, smoke what you like in the burners you enjoy smoking.
That said, my pots always provide an additional layer of taste and smell to my Lat forward English blends: not enough to smoke pots exclusively but enough to keep several pots in my racks.
Don't be afraid to experiment with your burners and tobacco. In the late eighties Apple had this advertising slogan, "The Journey is the Reward." They were right, RP.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
but I was not aware what it was and was a little embarrassed to ask.
@redpanda, we have a saying here, don't be ashamed because you don't know, be ashamed because you don't ask.
Airpocket method is the best working method for me. The smoke is cool, the burn is even and I almost need 2-3 relights. I think it was introduced by Frank to the pipe community (before Frank/German method). You may find the how to pack videos on the youtube page of Pipes Magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.