PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In reality, I don't do fees nor, do I take a lot of risk. I'll pay for advice though. I'm a pretty conservative with my disposable income. I've got a good broker, a lot of interest in the markets and very little spine. So I read, research and sit on my wallet most times.
It's a fun, entertaining, educational, and sometimes eye opening adventure. For me to peel off a few bills and invest I have to be pretty sure that, in the long term, I'll get a decent return. Actually the kids will get it all, including the attendant taxes, without any of the risk. I wish I was my kid.
But how will my money manager pay for his daughter's lavish wedding?
I've made my tiny nest egg in real estate development. The stock market is great for brokers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've shied away from real estate up here. To my sorrow of course but, the market is really volatile. A couple of buddies did convince me to throw something into the pot and now I'm a minor partner in a soccer/hockey complex which is busy almost 24/7. We are at the age that, when it's sold, I'll realize a decent return.
I'm not a rabid stock investor. Very conservative usually looking for returns over the long term. As I said, if the kids don't screw it up... they will do quite nicely. I'm also blessed with a couple of really astute investors in the family. I'm the weak minded one of the three brothers. (middle child, so figure it out.) Their advice is free and invariably very good.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I got convinced into some buyers club one time by a buddy. After that waste I was offered all sorts of spots in pyramid schemes when they were legal (for a short time). The comment was, "oh, we have two people to go in right behind you, so you'll at least break even." Question: Why wouldn't they want to go in ahead of me.
Socker complex sounds cool. Played some indoor soccer (got killed) in my youth.
I've been pretty good at pissing away things. I don't need help.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've shied away from real estate up here. To my sorrow of course but, the market is really volatile. A couple of buddies did convince me to throw something into the pot and now I'm a minor partner in a soccer/hockey complex which is busy almost 24/7. We are at the age that, when it's sold, I'll realize a decent return.
I'm not a rabid stock investor. Very conservative usually looking for returns over the long term. As I said, if the kids don't screw it up... they will do quite nicely. I'm also blessed with a couple of really astute investors in the family. I'm the weak minded one of the three brothers. (middle child, so figure it out.) Their advice is free and invariably very good.
Investing always entails risk, but not investing guarantees loss due to inflation, if nothing else. So it's like being between a rock and a hard place. Having an savvy advisor is often a good help. My father was able to retire comfortably because his brother was very smart about markets and could make out the signal within the noise. Stocks are a much more complex field than they used to be due to derivatives and various exotic products that can blow up and affect otherwise solid investments. And the "free" market is a myth, popular, but a myth nonetheless. Markets are gamed. My uncle was a very wealthy man, who kept his investments diversified, did his research, knew a lot of major players, and knew when to get in and when to get out. He had a few investments that didn't do well, but most of them did quite well.
I'm no financial genius, but I'm lucky to have friends who are savvy and who helped me. I still remember the "sales" pitch that one of them gave me with my first partnership. It was very simple. "I'm sick of watching you struggle. Shut up and give me all your money!" Doubled my investment in under a year. Repeated that with the next one as well. I'm in my sixth partnership and while not all of them have been as spectacular as the first two, they're all done better than inflation or keeping the money in a bank, which is all I was looking for. This current one will almost certainly return the lowest amount, but it will make a little bit, enough for a few tins. :D We were never looking for a big score. That's how you get killed. All of the ventures are extremely conservative to the point that it would require a worldwide financial collapse to go into the red. And in those circumstances you're roadkill anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.