PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
Foggy, I agree about Ford.
Not just Henry Ford... Apparently General Motors was quite keen on selling vehicles to the Nazis.
"May 2, 1934, after practicing his sieg heil in front of a mirror, [James] Mooney and two other senior executives from General Motors and its German division, Adam Opel A.G., went to meet Hitler in his Chancellery office."
From an article called "Nazis Rode to War on GM Wheels"

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Nazis-rode-to-war-on-GM-wheels-2659006.php

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gives us pause when the phrase 'I was only following orders' was used
My grandparents and other relatives were killed by the nazis (not capitalized on purpose) and my father, the last son to leave Poland, never forgave himself for abandoning them.
He could never talk about it. He was 17 when he came to the US, and the deep seated anger never left him until he died
I inherited it.
The phrase is: 'Never Again'

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Death wasn't good enough for many of the German nazi's. My step-grandfather lost his wife, kids, and entire family in the Holocaust. He had that number tattoo on his fore arm. He was also a pipe smoker. He died before we could enjoy a pipe together. Somewhere in a box somewhere are all his pipes, but try as I might, I can't get anyone to dig them out for me.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Bryan
I hope you can convince the family members to find the pipes before they get lost or thrown out.
Good luck

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Loved the photo of the British soldier with the hole in the helmet. Hope he made it through.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Not only Ford was a NAZI sympathizer but many other celebrities and political figures. Charles Lindberg was one. Eugenics had contemporary scientific approval and was practiced in the United States on the mentally ill and minorities.
It’s amazing how little is known or understood about all of that these days. Or the guise under which it still operates. The below article is a good introduction to it all, but really there is much more to the story.
The Horrifying American Roots of Nazi Eugenics

http://hnn.us/article/1796

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Both of my Grandfathers were in WWII. One in the European theater and the other in the Pacific. Neither one could or would talk of their experiences. They both saw heavy fighting and were lucky to get out alive. They did not know what PTSD was. Both had terrible nightmares and would wake up in cold sweats. Thanks to the Greatest Generation and the sacrifices they made for our freedoms. I fear we will forget. These pictures help us remember. Thanks for posting.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/curiosities/2013/march/rare_historical_photos.htm
this one also has a different angle of Einstein's desk as well as Custer and his boys smoking pipes!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Being an ametuer photographer myself, I absolutely love black and white film photos. Especially those taken before color film was widely available and utilized. I have found some of the most powerful images in B&W photography, and it brings forth something that color can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.