PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
It was big of you to apologize. You can compete on ebay. You really just have to find the right auction. I'm a recent college graduate with no job and I have managed to get a pipe or 2 on there. I'm glad your here with us you just gotta be more patient with ebay.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
All you can do, my friend, is decide the maximum you want to pay for something, then take your chances. It is the only thing that works, and it doesn't work all the time, that's why I don't have a cheap Dunhill, lol. But I scoured the bay and got a Castello under $25 once. Patience and persistence, my friend.
I agree with this. Do some research on the pipes you're looking at to kinda figure out what they may be worth,wait till the end and put your max bid in,knowing that you will win some--lose some. Remember also,that if you miss a pipe,there WILL be another one down the road,unless you're bidding on a one of a kind artisan pipe.It took me three years to get a certain Linkmans I wanted, got two of them now.
Like Dave said-we all have bad days.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Everyone needs to blow off some steam, and eBay is known to generate a fair share of anger. I think most of the guys here understand that.

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
Hey Shawn, I personally know what chronic pain and sudden disability at a too-young-for-this-crap age can do to one. It's frustrating. Everyone has given good advice. Patience and persistence pay off, but that patience thing? Hard to get. Hang in there; this is a great group. Better to blow off steam here than at your family. We can take it. :lol:
sparroa.... I know it's not the same as Old Spice, but have you seen/tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/Aged-Spice-Fragrance-Shaving-Soap/dp/B002ZWB7YO
10 bucks.... worth a shot?
Good luck to both of you. I've been extremely lucky on fleaBay and I've been bitten badly, trying to stalk a good deal. I have to keep telling myself that such-and-such a pipe WILL show up again....there's always another opportunity.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks a lot whimsy, I've seen that one - Mama Bear's Old Spice fragrance is supposed to be pretty dead on, but I haven't heard too much about its shaving properties. (Glycerine versus tallow in the original soap) The price is certainly right, though - you can't go wrong with $10 if it is a really close approximation.
It is definitely one of the best alternatives out there, though! The problem about putting an order into Mama Bear is that there are too many kinds that I want to try. I compliment you on finding out about that through a simple search, whereas I had to read through a raft of threads on a couple of different forums before discovering Aged Spice... :D
I broke down the other day and just bought an empty Old Spice shaving mug, so maybe I will just throw a puck of Aged Spice in there and just play pretend. :lol:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Wow!!!!!!!!!! You see, The comments on this thread are EXACTLY why, without a doubt, THIS IS THE BEST DAMN SITE ON THE NET. Now that i'm done being a little girl, I can get back to reading, learning, and having a good time.!!! Thanks guys!! You are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puffy:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Instead of buying estates seen on ebay, you could save the money you would have spent on multiple auctions to buy a single new pipe. Then you could grow with the pipe, and it would tell your own story. It is nice to have multiple pipes, but in reality you only need one to smoke.
+1

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a Savinelli, Long John 413 and 2 other pipes for 27 bucks shipped... The second is marked England - Hilbourne and the third is simply marked Italy with no other markings... My TAD is taken care of for a couple of months now and I'm satisfied:)

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yea photoman. Its was like a right of passage for me to buy my own name brand pipe... I loved the jecky and hyde comment BTW :lol: So true. I used to be the loosest cannon you ever met. Paid dearly for it too. I very rarely get upset. ever rarer that I get furious. Last night was crazy. Funny now that I look back at it. I literally went from super excited and happy to furious like 5x in an hour. Well, it was more of a progression that started out fun and progressively turned to me "seeing red". You can tell I have no life huh??? Today I feel like all my built up stress was relieved though. So as long as I didn't seriously offend anyone, It was a healthy occurrence.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Glad you got something nice to soothe your rage. ;) It's all good, man. Sometimes, you have to kind of work at keeping a hobby fun, I've been there too. I like to go shooting, but I almost lost my sh*t when some doof with an old shotgun muzzle-swept me. Had to go home and simmer down for a bit on that one.
ETA: There is a weird irony to this post being #357 for me. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Shawn you should post more pics when you get your new pipes. Also when you look at ebay as a challenge and about the journey as someone said above, it is much more enjoyable.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Glad to hear you had success and also are feeling better after your bad evening , Shawn. You sound like one of those too competitive folks: I hate to loose at anything, huh? LOL Anyway, glad for your great hit on the other auction and look forward to seeing photos when they arrive.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Photoman, i used to have a gambling problem too. Horses. lol I have done about every bad thing there is. Anyway I do make it a challenge and I get that adrenalin rush like at the track or when the horses come down the strait away and I have a long shot trifecta coming in or before a good fist fight(not so good now that I'm older, but I used to love to fight. Entered toug hman contests and all. Haven't been in a fight in 9 years:)). so when I bid on eBay, I always watch the time run down to the last second. I don't usually mind losing, because there are no consequences like losing at the track. But last night I lost 5 in the last 3 seconds and it just hit me wrong. I'm a mess by nature, but 6 years of intense therapy and spiritual experiences have made me 10x the man I ever was. Oh, and being a single dad really helped shape who I am now too. So last night the old me reared Its ugly head. Its why I logged off and didn't come back till morning. I know myself and caught myself being an ass and bailed. I'm just being honest!!!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Hey gmwolford, Did you get the Dark Twist yet? And Yes, I really don't do well at losing. Even when I was a kid I cried and carried on if I lost a sports game... I've had to practice humility for the past 10 years though. I have lost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.