PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I started my website in 2006 because eBay had just instituted a policy that only collectible pipe tobacco (no matter whether sealed or unsealed), that was no longer available at retail would not be allowed. They shut down more than 20 of my auctions that were for Murray's era Dunhill tobaccos. Murray's had shut down the year before. So, I was selling tobacco that was no longer sold at retail. BUT, even after talking to an eBay supervisor back then, I was told it was still Dunhill tobacco and that eBay was not responsible for differentiating between the two different manufacturers. And, he also admitted that with millions of auctions each day, eBay relies on members reporting violations to them and someone had reported me. And that system of "whistle blowing" is still relied upon today. And once someone is caught, they are red flagged forever and further violations lead to suspensions or worse.
PayPal is even stricter if one is caught selling tobacco and using PayPal as a conduit for payments. In order to use PayPal to accept such payments, you have to provide PayPal with a third party Attorney's opinion, pay a $500 MasterCard registration fee, and be licensed to sell tobacco. If caught doing otherwise, PayPal simply tells you to either provide the Attorney's opinion, pay the $500 registration fee and show proof of your tobacco seller's license or your account will be closed if you accept any more payments for tobacco products. And like eBay, if you are caught your account is monitored thereafter.
Our hobby is absolutely at war with the tobacco Nazi's of the world. We're holding our own, but no telling what tomorrow will bring.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
no tobacco selling rule for years. On the other hand, they have listing categories for sealed tins, unopened tins, specific blenders, etc. Seems
I'm with Jesse on it. It's almost been as though they have two different offices, one for pure-white stuff, & one for grayish-if-you-do-it-we-don't-rewally-want-to-know.... I haven't bought any sealed tins off the 'bay recently, so I didn't notice a landscape change. I might have to hop in & throw my line it to see what I find just for the heck of it.
Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It's weird. I popped in for a quick/dirty, & it was odd all over the place. Some few FMs at scalp prices, a few oddball things that apparently were low-profile enough to escape notice (for now), etc.
One really kooky one I ran across was a tin of "Edgeworth Tabacco Tin Unopened With Seal, that was advertised as both new *&* used in the same listing, "tin still has unopened , tax seal not torn or opened with Tabasco in it... excellent condition." No, I didn't. -laugh- But I'm wondering if people could start listing with deliberate misspellings to fly under the censor radars but that the cognoscenti would still see... }:)
B

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
And as far as Germany goes those few who are listing tobacco products out there are licensed independent tobacconists,whereas on eBay England unsealed tobacco tins are a rare event, French and other European sites even more so, its time to face the truth,

Today Tobacco Is Evil in any form be it collectible or not

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I bought a few tins of HH Syrian from two different ebay sellers. The transaction went fine and I got what I paid for; however, I tried to leave them positive feedback and found both of their accounts had been disabled.
Now I've lost my sources, (they had good prices too). And if the seller(s) were anyone who happens to read this forum... thanks for the tins. Sorry about your accounts! PM me, I'm potentially interested in more.

Status
Not open for further replies.