PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have been considering selling a couple of tins on EBAY.

Anyone know what the requirements are for verifying that the person buying tobacco is 18 or older?

Is a copy of drivers license or something required? Thanks.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Technically I do not think you can sell tobacco on eBay. I know people do, but they list the sale to be for the "packaging" and not for the contents.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
lawmax:
I've sold a number of tins on eBay. In addition to following the eBay guidelines for posting such auctions, I think it helps to limit payment options to Paypal users. Paypal takes some steps to verify everyone who uses the service, including banking/credit card information. I have no idea how fool-proof it might be, but I think that helps to weed out the under-age purchases.
Bob

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy lawmax3,
In order to sell full and sealed pipe tobacco tins on eBay, you must have the disclaimer that I have cut/pasted for you below listed in each auction. Additionally, the font size of the disclaimer must match the size of the font in your auction's item description. If you follow the rules stated in the disclaimer you should have no problems. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tins being sold on eBay that do not match the disclaimer, and eBay usually does not end those auctions unless there is a complaint filed. Here's the official disclaimer that eBay requires of the seller -
-- The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself.

-- The value of the packaging is higher than the current retail price of the tobacco in the package.

-- While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption.

-- The collectible packaging is not currently available in stores.

-- The buyer must be at least 18 years old. (As the seller, I'm responsible for making sure this rule is met.)

-- Both the buyer and the seller are following all applicable laws and shipping regulations for this transaction.
Good luck on your selling,
Pipestud

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There is a lot of tobacco being sold on eBay that does not meet that disclaimer, i.e.new stuff.

Eventually, eBay will ban all tobacco.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
I confirm these recommendations. I have been selling a lot of collectible tobacco tins a few motnhs ago, and I can tell you : even when meeting the recommandations, there are bots on ebay cancelling your listings if containing the words related to 'tobacco'.

But if you are effectively observing the rules and selling out of production tobacco tins, you can contact ebay explaining the issue and they will disable the cancelling bots towards your listings.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Empty tins are allowed, with the abuse of selling tins that contain tobacco will soon be coming to an end.
Craig
I hope you are right, Craig... It is disconcerting when you have people bypassing the rules. Fortunately, I have a good relationship with eBay and as long as the rules are being followed, there are no worries. Those who are selling current production non collectible tins will soon be getting a surprise.
Pipestud

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Did eBay cancel the Pipestud Bell's Three Nuns listing? There was a thread more relevant to the discussion of eBay cancelling sealed tin listings, but I cannot find it.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I hope you are right, Craig... It is disconcerting when you have people bypassing the rules. Fortunately, I have a good relationship with eBay and as long as the rules are being followed, there are no worries. Those who are selling current production non collectible tins will soon be getting a surprise.
Pipestud
I couldn't agree more. Funny thing is that I brought this exact subject up not long ago. I spoke out against a couple of auctions that were prime examples of the dishonest practice of selling current production tins under the guise of the disclaimer. Turns out the auctions I had referenced belonged to a popular member of this very forum. You would have thought I had blasphemed against the virgin Mary herself based on the reaction I got. Was even politely told to shush by a site moderator and told "that's just a trick we use to get around eBay's rules" in another thread on the subject.
This post is a breath of fresh air. It tells me I'm not the only one that finds these blatantly fraudulent listings distasteful. I was starting to wonder based on the reaction I got when I spoke out against them. Ebay listings are a business transaction. When you knowingly and willfully misrepresent the product you are selling you are committing fraud.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Did eBay cancel the Pipestud Bell's Three Nuns listing? There was a thread more relevant to the discussion of eBay cancelling sealed tin listings, but I cannot find it. - Buroak
No sir, it is still up but you sure made me jump when I read your post! (-:
I am not sure whether I'd be breaking the rules by posting the link to one of my own auctions here, but feel free to email me at pipestud@aol.com and I'll send you the link to that auction.
Pipestud

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Listen to pipestud, he knows!
I would only add, that I had some tins up for sale a few months ago and several were taken down by ebay. Their reasoning was that you can buy these tins presently online. I called and tried to argue, but to no avail. One was a 2004 tin of Haddo's Delight, one was a tin of GLP Black Rider from 2005, and a tin of McClelland's Anniversary 2002. Apparently if there are any of the same tins presently for sale on the internet or in stores then ebay bots will tag your tins and they will be removed. They left 3 other tins I had for sale up and running through the auction.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
pipestud, My sincerest apologies for causing alarm. I do not know what went wrong with my eBay search. I could find your listings, but the Three Nuns tin was not among them. I ran the search again just now and the tin was in there with your other listings.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
What about selling an old version of a currently produced tobacco? I have a couple of old style tins of Old Dublin for sale here but am getting no action. May need to move to ebay. The tin design was changed around 2004 to Peterson's current boring blue label. Would ebay remove my listing even if I follow accepted protocol?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What about selling an old version of a currently produced tobacco? I have a couple of old style tins of Old Dublin for sale here but am getting no action. May need to move to ebay. The tin design was changed around 2004 to Peterson's current boring blue label. Would ebay remove my listing even if I follow accepted protocol?
That is where the situation gets sticky, Eric. It just depends on who is guarding the hen house at any given time. The problem is that most of the eBay employees know nothing about pipe tobacco tins. If they see that Peterson's Old Dublin is still in production your tin may be yanked. A prime example is Dunhill. An Orlik paper label tin of Nightcap looks almost identical to a painted label Murray's era Nightcap. Murray's Nightcap is no longer in production and technically, should fit the criteria to allow its sale on eBay. However, if an eBay employee does an Internet search, they see Dunhill Nightcap being sold all over the place. So, they yank the auction. Another eBay employee at the guard gate may understand the difference and let it ride.
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
pipestud, My sincerest apologies for causing alarm. I do not know what went wrong with my eBay search. I could find your listings, but the Three Nuns tin was not among them. I ran the search again just now and the tin was in there with your other listings.- buroak
No apologies necessary, buroak. If the tin had been yanked, I would have simply called eBay with an explanation. Fortunately, I am on file with eBay regarding the sale of out of production pipe tobacco tins and they know I am following the rules. Still, it is annoying when a tin auction comes down and I have to start all over.
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.