PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I hope I'm not part of the last generation of pipe smokers.I'm seriously concerned about it's future though.Our economy is in the tank.I'm wondering if a good many young folks who would be pipe smokers just don't have the money to do so.I also wonder how many old timers on fixed incomes are finding it harder to buy tobacco.I hope things will get better.I doubt though that it will soon happen.Especially with rising prices of almost everything.It's hard for me to comprehend how much the price of pipes and tobacco has risen especially in the past dozen years.I have enough pipes so I'm not buying any these days.I'm just wondering though what you think of ebay as a place to buy reasonably priced pipes.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Well puffy, I am 27 tomorrow and started smoking a pipe last year. I now have almost 30 pipes and about 10 lbs of baccy. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I also have my first kid on the way. If I do have a son, I do plan on passing him the hobby if he is interested and once he is old enough.
As far as eBay goes, I am a product of the computer generation and I don't trust people I can't see without a proven track record. I think eBay is a good place to buy if you really need a deal or have no other choice. I have found most of my pipes in antique stores or in my travels and feel that the hunt and story is part of the fun.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Care and patience with respect to the 'bay have served me well.

Over 30 pipes purchased off of eBay. 1 absolute stinker, 2 or 3 not quite what I thought they would be, but overall for the dollars spent I have some very nice pipes.
Bear in mind I purchase for utility rather than collectability(real word?)If I were to find myself in a position to spend more than $150 or $200 or so I'd need to be on speaking terms with the seller!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Well, I'll admit I'm addicted to Ebay, or was anyway..... I think thats the best way to end up with 5,000 pipes you hardly smoke :D

But I've gotten past my buying mode, gotten into a selling mode, and my collection is slowly narrowing itself down to my absolute favorites only.

I've got some real deals off Ebay, but I've gotten some nasty surprises too. The cracked shank you didnt see, the gaping hole in the bottom of the mouthpiece...

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have found a good many pipes on ebay, some good some bad. I think it is a good place to go if you know what you are looking for. I have even found decent priced tins, though not very often. I am of a younger generation and as noted above I am not about to give up smoking and I hope to pass it on to my kids someday.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-500 pipes on Ebay. Got some clunkers sure but mostly pipes that were at least restorable,some were real gems. It's a good place to buy,just gotta use common sense,ask questions or for more pics and always check a sellers feedback number. There are a lot of reputable pipe sellers on Ebay,also a lot of folks who don't know squat about the pipes they are selling.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Almost all of my pipes are ebay pipes. Just don't pay too much and take the bad with the good. One of the most decrepit pipes I bought (for $5) ended up being one of my most badass, thanks to some restoration by our friend jasongone. Don't worry about being the last generation. My generation was taught from a young age to "Fight For Your Right to Party"! and I'll back that up with some 7.62mm.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have bought a lot of pipes off eBay, but you must do your homework. One fellow is trying to pass off a low end Peterson as Sherlock Holmes series pipe. Sometimes logo stems are.swapped onto no-name pipes as well. Be sure to get all the info you can before making the bid. I have gotten some great pipes off eBay for reasonable sums. Gotten a couple of turkeys too. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.