PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Through the years, there have been a few horror stories posted here and elsewhere about ebay's Global Shipping Program for pipes sent to the US. I'm trying to gauge the risk of using the program. Has it worked for you or have you lost pipes through it? Do you avoid all auctions that use this program or do you not care?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Through the years, there have been a few horror stories posted here and elsewhere about ebay's Global Shipping Program for pipes sent to the US. I'm trying to gauge the risk of using the program. Has it worked for you or have you lost pipes through it? Do you avoid all auctions that use this program or do you not care?
After reading the stories I've just forgone those auctions, even if the odds are slim I can't just throw money away, well not more than I already do. I've had 2 pipes shipped from overseas but neither through the Global Stealing Program. Sorry I can't be more help.

Reactions: mingc

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I avoid it if possible, but I've had several purchases not stating they will ship with it, then shortly after paying I received a sinister email from the GSP stating "we have your item" which angers me greatly.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I've had them confiscate a pipe I purchased. eBay refunds your money so you don't lose out on your end but they still take the pipe. I even looked up the regulations that they themselves post on their website for both going into and out of the US and the country that the pipe I purchased was shipped from, which clearly showed tobacco pipes were allowed to be shipped, and they still kept the pipe.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I've had them confiscate a pipe I purchased. eBay refunds your money so you don't lose out on your end but they still take the pipe. I even looked up the regulations that they themselves post on their website for both going into and out of the US and the country that the pipe I purchased was shipped from, which clearly showed tobacco pipes were allowed to be shipped, and they still kept the pipe.
They keep and re-sell the pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The official eBay policy does NOT prohibit conventional tobacco pipes (briar, meer, etc)

Only the electronic vape stuff.

Looks like people at ground level (like the baggage handlers at airports) are helping themselves to items that can be easily re-sold for quick cash.

No doubt plausible deniability also figures into it. "Gee... I thought pipes qualified as 'items which contain tobacco'. I mean, isn't that what pipes DO?"

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 5.10.49 PM.png

herpushy

Lurker
Jun 12, 2023
Through the years, there have been a few horror stories posted here and elsewhere about ebay's Global Shipping Program for pipes sent to the US. I'm trying to gauge the risk of using the program. Has it worked for you or have you lost pipes through it? Do you avoid all auctions that use this program or do you not care x trench run?
They seized a pipe I had purchased from them. I checked the restrictions they put on their website regarding shipping to the US and the country where the pipes I purchased were delivered, and found that they permitted shipping. continue in a steady state.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I won't bid on an auction that uses eBay's Glogal shipping and I've warned sellers using them to do some research. I started hearing about them seizing tins of tobacco years ago. And there are a number of people here, @ashdigger being one of them, who have been screwed by Global shipping.

There's no way I'm buying anything that's shipped by them.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If you're buying from Great Britain the eBay Global shipping risk is %100. If you buy a pipe, it will be confiscated. They deem all "pipes" to be "drug paraphernalia". Every pipe I bought from GB via EGS was confiscated as well as @ashdigger and several others. If it says it ships via EGS, move along. Luckily it seems that many of the pipe sellers in GB wised up and stopped using it.

Jul 4, 2023
Agreed. Global Shipping has been destroying the last two items I purchased. A pipe rack and a group listing of pipes. It’s such a depressing matter - these pipes that survived a Great War or two are being destroyed (they say) by eBay’s “third party” henchmen. I miss the old days of the Royal Mail and the USPS slow shipping - at least my pipe dreams were delayed and not shattered.
~~
U/‘’”

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Pitney Bowes ( Ebay's global shipper ) took two lots from me, both purchased from the same seller.
No pipes, but wonderful blackthorn shanks for stick making. It was embarrassing and I went berserk.
They refunded the full amount and confiscated the shanks as being a restricted item.
The sticks were sent from Birmingham UK to the Netherlands, according Ebay they were sent from Birmingham US ! Three months later an Ebay owned shop offered them for sale, tripled the original amount.
Why destroy the loot when you can make triple money of it ?
Briar and meerschaum are officially not restricted items .
A similar story I learned from someone whose rosewood guitar was confisqated and then much later resold.
Shipping pipes from the Uk ( Ebay GS ) to the Netherlands so far no problem.
Meanwhile most sellers abandoned the programm .

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Once I found out how to contact them ( it of course took quite some searching ) I harassed PB with mail for quite a while untill they kicked me out. Myheart still bleeds and my blood still boils. Not because of the money ( they refunded )
but because of the wonderful , very rare stick shanks.
I feel for you all, you're not alone bro's !