PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have a novices education about Dunhills, but need some help on this one. The gold

band on this pipe seems to cover some of the stamp/writing on the pipe, which doesn't look just

right. I'm open to your ideas please...... Thanks in advance.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300826558150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow. That's a beauty. I love the gold with the cumberland.
@ irish - Could it just be an issue of the Gold band being bent? I can't tell if it is just lighting or if the gold band seems a but beat up.
@ top - jpberg seemed to know a lot about Dunhills. I would shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
To me, it looks like an aftermarket band. Notice the "England" is cut off and when you consider the stem and how it fits, to me it does not look right.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I'm no expert either but in my opinion it appears to be an aftermarket band for the reasons sated above.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Gold band is not "gold" but "gold filled"( like gold plate ) judging by the markings in picture 4. It's also just a commercial band, not a Dunhill one. It's been banded at some point in its life.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
At $111,50? The thing is a wreck and not worth ten dollars: sawn in half, put back together askew, badly retrofitted with a cheap band and to top it off there's a very ominous crack in the rim. If I were a Python and this was a parrot, it would be an ex-parrot. Firewood, that's all it's good for IMO.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks like a poor repair job to me. The pipe overall looks good, at $111 probably a decent deal.
$T2eC16JHJF0E9nmFQg18BQuNKueMHg~~60_57.JPG

That is an unusual and attractive shape.
$T2eC16NHJF0E9nmFQjDEBQuNLBgnKQ~~60_57.JPG

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I don't know. That's exactly the kind of deals that are going down eBay these days. Broken Dunhills that have been frankensteined back to life in the 120-200$ range. No wonder a decent man can't get one, because all those sharlatans are trying to turn a fast coin. :roll:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The guy claims it is a patent no. Dunhill but it is not. The band is hiding something and is not 14kt and the pipe is junk in my opinion. The seller is a liar and he should be called out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, I contacted the seller and he refuses to take down the false advertising. I reported it to ebay through their system,but they do nothing. I am going to call them later and force them to take it down. The seller is an arrogant piece of shit who knows he is a liar,but also realizes that ebay could care less if people make false claims so he will not take it down.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
This same guy had a pipe for sale a couple weeks ago claiming it was patent pipe, but after I emailed

him to send the markings (which he does a poor job of showing in photo's) it was actually made in '68.

I didn't realize it was the same guy until just now.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Seller told me it is a repair band. Why not mention it in the ad then? Shady.

Status
Not open for further replies.