PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
From what I've read EMP is a very good blend. Can anyone tell me if it's as good as they say. Would this be a good blend for a beginning English smoker to try? The only English that I have tried so far is Old Dublin. Is it along those lines?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Its the only English I've smoked to date, but I like it. I don't have the best palate for picking flavors out, but to me I get a smooth consistent smoke type flavor from it. Kind of like the smoke from cooking meat. There's something else in it that I notice at the edges but I haven't figured out what it is.
Too my taste buds it seems a little "even" but that's not a knock against it. Its a nice break from the sharper stuff I like to smoke.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
EMP is really really good. A very nice English. A bit overbearing to me if you inhale due to the Red VA but there is a sweetness to it. Never smoked Old Dublin so I couldn't compare it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I like EMP. Haven't tried it in bulk yet. Very good all day English IMO. Definately worth trying.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
EMP is excellent. I think it's a lighter smoke than Old Dublin, and it has a tiny hint of sweetness (maybe from the VAs?) I just bought a tin of it maybe a month ago, and I still have quite a bit left. I smoke it primarily on the weekend.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've had it from the tin and I like it. My first impression of it however wasn't as stellar - but after a while I tried it again and it tasted better (I think my tobacco taste buds were a little more educated by the time I went back)
I just ordered some bulk, we'll see how that goes... :puffy:

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
You can read more about emp here.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/dunhill-early-morning-pipe-tobacco-review/

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This is one of the few tins I can get locally. After reading these responses and the link/article, I believe this will be in my next purchase.

Jul 15, 2011
EMP is pretty Virginia forward, so it demands respect when smoking it otherwise you'll probably get a little tongue burn. I like the flavor; Light english with a hint of Latakia. There is quite a bit of Oriental in the blend which gives it a little sour, musty type flavor that plays well with everything else. Good smoke, hope to order more of it soon.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I quite like EMP and stocked up on it from one of our sponsors so the bulk baccy came along a bit too late for me. I agree with Pipe Novelist in his assessment about the hint of Latakia and the strong presence of the Orientals and actually enjoy it any time. But, first thing in the morning with a big cup of good java and its just the ticket.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I like EMP quite a bit. I usually have sensitivity with tounge burn/bite so I dry it out really well

It is a bit milder than Old Dublin, which I have no trouble with. Just darn good stuff mate. IMO, way better than the froggys and other English blends.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I like it as well... it is (like most have stated) mild... so it's not a regular for me as I am a HEAVY latakia lover ... but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
After talking about it yesterday I had to have a bowl after work. This was the first time I smoked it in something without a p lip a and I found that the orientals were a lot stronger then I noticed in earlier bowls. I also noticed the Virginia's more also.
Think I'll pair it up with a beer tonight and see what shakes loose.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
give Villiger Pipe Tobacco 1888 Early Day a try it's a dead ringer for EMP.. (at 1/2 the price)

Aug 1, 2012
I got a little EMP in a trade and it's actually pretty nice. It's not the holy grail of tobacco but it does make for a good smoke.

Aug 14, 2012
The last time I tried EMP was around 1959. I didn't like it then. My choice for a first pipe varies, but often is McClelland's bulk Turkish ribbon in a meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.