PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
I have read many of the threads on here over the past several days. Forgive me if this in here and I missed it. I read with awe of those who sit and smoke for 45 minutes to an hour and have the time to relax and enjoy their pipes. For me this just isn't an option. What I have found is that I will pack my pipe, must admit still can't get that right, and smoke for a few minutes. Then I am off to the next task but will return later and smoke for another few minutes. This is the ritual until time for bed when I empty the pipe and put it up for the day. Because of this, I rarely smoke a full bowl unless I happen to be off for the day and get an early start.
So my question is, am I really in the minority when it comes to smoking a pipe since I tend to smoke in short intervals? If so, I may have to wait until retirement to become a true pipe smoker. Thanks.
Rex

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't sit and contemplate very often. I smoke at the computer, or while reading, or watching TV, or driving. Especially driving. It's pretty easy to finish most of a bowl at these times.
edit: Sorry...Welcome to the forums!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I generally get 1.5 to 2 hours out of my pipes at home. My Moretti magnum tends to get around three. At work though, I pack a full pipe before going in, and smoke it off and on during my 12 hour shift, so nothing wrong with how you are doing it so long as you are enjoying the time that you do get.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I usually only smoke one bowl per day (except on weekends occasionally) and I intentionally set aside at least an hour after work / before dinner to just sit and smoke with a good book. I can easily get and hour and a half out of a group 4 bowl - and do so if I have the time.
Other than reading, I usually do not multi-task when smoking a pipe.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm fortunate enough to have a closed in porch with television, music and casual bar that I use to relax and smoke. I also have a one hour commute that is accompanied by coffee in the morning and iced tea in the afternoon.
But there are others who smoke only on the weekends and on busy days, I may smoke only a half bowl to a bowl.
I don't think the number of bowls a day you smoke determines if you you are a "true" pipesmoker. 4 bowls or less a day would make you a light smoker. 4 to 6 a day a moderate smoker.
Just enjoying your pipe makes you a "true" pipe smoker.
Pax

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm a busy guy as well, so the opportunity to have a leisurely smoke is rare. During the day, I'll enjoy a bowl over several brief sessions. It's only at night, when I take a walk that I can enjoy an uninterrupted smoke.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I usually have time in the evening to sit and enjoy an entire bowl and have a drink while I chat with wifey out by the pond. Other times I will do the same as OP and have a puff or two here and there then set the pipe down until I make my way back to it for another puff or two. When I'm at work a bowl may last me all night since I have a puff or two when I can. Occasionally when my machines are running unattended I can sneak outside and enjoy a whole bowl or close to it. :puffy:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I only pack a bowl when I know I've got an hour or so to spend piping. Usually get 30-45 minutes from my Peterson 80s which is the one I smoke most often

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! :clap:
I'm retired and have all the time in the world. (Read my signature line below.) :wink:

Despite this, I smoke like there's no tomorrow. I get about 40 - 50 minutes from a bowlful.

I try to not over-think this.

sunny

Lurker
Jul 5, 2015
If I grab any of my pipes, including the nose warmers, I normally get a good half an hour to smoke sometimes longer.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. Last night had more time to sit and smoke. It was raining out so no yard work :). Of course this evening I will have to make up for that. I did get most of the bowl smoked and it only took me about three hours. Oh the pleasure of progress!!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I smoke to relax, so the idea of sitting for an hour, contemplating the universe sounds inviting but... the reality is that I get bored and twitchy about 15 minutes in.
I smoke about like you do. More, as I get through 3 or so bowls a day, but I tend to do it in short sessions, let it go out, then come back to it. I sometimes keep two or more pipes packed at the same time so I can alternate between styles and flavors.

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
For those who are going back to your pipes throughout the day, doesn't the tobacco dry out as the day progresses?

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
If I don't have the time to smoke, I just don't smoke. Although I do miss it when there is no time.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I find it depends a lot on what I am smoking, a bowl of Peterson's Irish flake lasts me around 2 hours, but a bowl of Frog Morton in the same pipe only lasts me about 45 minutes. If you have not tried a flake tobacco that might work well for you, I find that when I smoke flake it goes out more often then with ribbon cuts (I use the fold and stuff method, and I'm not great at packing yet). So flake kind of lends itself to smoke a little do something else and then smoke some more kind of rhythm.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
There isn't a right or wrong way to smoke a bowl to me. I smoke how I want at the time. Sometimes I sit on the porch and do nothing but smoke. That's when a bowl last the least amount of time and actually most enjoyable. Other times I get sidetracked and it goes out(like at the PC now). I "waste"(in a manner of speaking) some fine tobacco not paying attention to the moment even though it may last longer. That's where my addiction plays a role and being an ex-cigarette smoker.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm retired and you'll hardly ever find me without a pipe in my mouth. My bowls generally last about 45 minutes. Letting the pipe go out and coming back to it is called DGT: Delayed Gratification Technique. It works best with Virginia blends and not so much with aromatics and some Latakia blends. I often smoke about a half a bowl of a Virginia or Va/Bur blend at night before bed and continue it as my first smoke of the day the next morning.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
During the week I generally smoke 2 bowls a night after work, on the weekends 5-6 bowls a day. I like to relax and smoke, most last an hour to an hour and a half. If I get interrupted, I have no issue coming back to the pipe to finish it. As long as I am enjoying my smoke, it is all good for me.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I am a busy dad and my kids don't let me smoke when I want to, I usually smoke when they go to sleep and that's when I am not tired, but sometimes I do smoke half in the afternoon and the rest at night, it all depends on my schedule.

No time to smoke?! I don;t even understand what this means. I sometimes will wake up an extra hour earlier to smoke before getting the rest of the household ready for the day. I smoke while working at my bench, while walking the dog, while cooking dinner, while driving on errands, when watching a movie, then I smoke just before going to bed.

If somehow you have made life choices that make it impossible to smoke, then either pipes might not be for you or some changes are in order. But, 1.5-2 hours is my average per bowl. Hot-boxing a pipe is a good way to create a useless cloud of smoke and destroy your pipe, but you will not intake more nicotine by smoking faster. In fact smoking faster severely reduces how much you will absorb. You might as well just throw your money in the garbage is you want to smoke fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.