PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I've only had one slightly sour deal some while back when a member who is no longer active bought a pipe from me, I sent first and let the money cross in the mail ( the gentlemanly thing to do for $25 )......member sat on my pipe for 2 months, supposedly the money orders he was sending me kept getting stolen en route. I send a string of PM messages calling the spade a spade, member gets highly offended and returns pipe.
Sometimes yes life gets in the way, unexpected things happen etc etc etc. But I honestly think if one is caught up in a shit storm in real life, one should focus on that rather than making commitments to the virtual brethren of the briar which end up going unfulfilled.
How much money/pipe/baccy are we talking about? If it's significant ($100) I would name names .....

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
There's a gutless slime ball in every group who takes advantage of his "friends." Hang 'em high.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
You probably got screwed, but I have a trade going with a forum member from probably 2 months ago im sure we are both good for it, trading pipes, I haven't sent mine he hasnt sent his but we are both busy but we have had contact every so often.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Question.......... Have you seen the member online lately?
That's what I was wondering. Not answering pm's when you are totally AWOL is one thing; ignoring pm's while still actively posting on the forums is another...

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've seen this happen on every pipe and cigar forum I've been a member of. The pattern is always the same. Goods are received. Then the excuses start. They are always the same too. Professing physical and financial hardship. Then the long lapse in communication. It takes very little to put something in a box, print a label or slap some stamps on it, and let the Postman pick it up. Or someone can do it for you. The guy agrees to a trade and suddenly his life goes sideways? I've seen it too many times to believe the excuses anymore.
The guy's name wasn't Kyle Black was it? Texas address?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Agreed on all points. However it does help to come here get to know the people and take a chance. Most times it will work out. I do suggest a few more attempts at contacting them and then reveal the name.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Misunderstandings happen (I sent a post yesterday that this forum was not serious enough - totally tongue in cheek- that Hunter took wrong and I am sorry for that) but this sounds like outright fraud. That being said, I tend to be a forgiving soul and would probably keep trying to contact the individual.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I'd be outraged if it happened to me. There is no excuse for such an appalling behaviour. If I was you, I'd report him to the admins and disclose his identity.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"...(I sent a post yesterday that this forum was not serious enough - totally tongue in cheek- that Hunter took wrong and I am sorry for that)..."
In what thread was that? I do not recall taking any of your posts the wrong way.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh wow! I hope this all works out for you. I do agree that if this post doesn't elicit a PM in the next couple days that you disclose the name on here. We do need to know if there is a rat in the woodpile.
Best of luck! Also, if Dan is hooking you up, you will likely make out better than the original trade anyway. :)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ yaddy

I'm not sure when he was on last.
Is there a way to see when a member was last logged in?
It's not that big to deal to me. It's the principle. I'm trying to give the benifit of doubt, I'm not worried about loosing a few tins of tobacco. If there isn't a reason for noncontact, I feel obligated to give a heads up to the forum so no one else gets taken for a ride.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Yes he has the pipe. I wouldn't care if somebody backed out on a deal. Apparently he liked it enough to be excommunicated.
All right fellas, I'm beginning to beat a dead horse on this post. I'll wait a week or so for a response.
I'm sure this post has sent out the bat signal.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
@danielplainview go to your email and click http://pipemagazine.com/... and them click his member name. you can find out.

I hope all our pm members are good members because we are gathering here to enjoy smoking.

Am I dreaming? May be but still I hope we have many many good members in our forum.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Andy,

I sympathize with your position, and glad you posted it. I once, long ago, accidentally screwed over a member, whose name I don't remember and don't believe I've seen him in a long time, over an informal exchange of tobacco--I hadn't realized he was actively expecting my sending of tobacco quickly, and I'm a dreadful procrastinator. When he sent me an angry PM, I realized my unfortunate procrastination had upset him, and I immediately mailed a tin or two of the tobacco. (In my case, there are real circumstances that make trips to the post office difficult.) Then I wrote a public forum apology. Strangely there wasn't any response from anyone. Of course, in formal trades or sales, I rush stuff over in the post office posthaste. But crap does happen, and perhaps this fellow is embarrassed or something else is preventing him from honoring his part in the bargain. I'd PM him one more time and ask what the problem is before "outing" him. There might be a legitamate excuse, and a real one, to explain why this situation has cropped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.