PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Looking at pictures of Dunhill shells, I marvel at the cragginess of the early patent ones. I wonder how they got the effect they did and why they changed. I am supposing that they wanted the tighter sandblasted patterns that you see on the later specimens? I just love the look of the early patent pipes. I wonder if it’s a certain kind of briar that does that and if any pipe-makers are trying to get this effect.
Here are are some patents (the first is unsure, they say ‘30 but it might be ‘40; the second is ‘32): IMG_6866.jpeg
IMG_6867.jpeg
Compared to a ‘61
IMG_6868.jpeg

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ll take a shot here…Outside of the briar sourcing related to the Algerian revolution…could the difference be different folks/blasters and possibly not as well attended requirements or specifications? I’m sure more experienced Dunhill historians would know. ☕

Reactions: MattRVA

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I woud not leave out the possiblity of a change in fashion and tastes. Money moves markets, especially luxury markets. The rustic look may have fallen out of favor or the other looks market tested better. I really doubt it happened just because briar sources. They have the ability to make what they want. Being a luxury brand also positions them to decide what will be fashionable. Clearly they have been good at that.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Skill, type of media used, evolution of sandblasting wood, quality of wood used, etc.

I would have to agree with @Sigmund, probably just a change in what was fashionable at the time.

I will say that a good blast can really bring out character in the wood.
I think these add up. I’m interested in the fashion/aesthetic angle. Does any particular modern pipe maker come to anyone’s mind in terms of the aesthetic? Or how about contemporaries in the ‘20s and ‘30s? I’ve seen a little of what other English brands were up to and I have some 30s Kaywoodies (but they’re not this craggy).

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think these add up. I’m interested in the fashion/aesthetic angle. Does any particular modern pipe maker come to anyone’s mind in terms of the aesthetic? Or how about contemporaries in the ‘20s and ‘30s? I’ve seen a little of what other English brands were up to and I have some 30s Kaywoodies (but they’re not this craggy).
Michael Parks has the best natural looking blasts. IMO nobody comes close to his work. His blasts reminds me of the great Dunhill blasts of old.