PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm actually shocked! This isn't a bad deal! I mean it's SERIOUSLY expensive but not as much as I'd expect. First new seven day I've ever seen.
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Dunhill-B800-i37721.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy, but that's a nice group. It's an interesting (unrealistic) notion that someone could buy the set and smoke only those, with maybe a cob or two for out of the house. It happens I just acquired a Bob Hays straight rusticated Dublin with a bamboo shank, which is also a fine pipe, and no apologies required for comparing it to a Dunhill.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
AP has some good prices on Dunhills. I'm not a bamboo guy, but those are nice.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I don't not mean to slam Dunhill....or White Spot as they prefer today, but for that kind of money I think I could buy a number of truly fine pipes made by skilled craftsmen.
Depending on your own personal definition, between 1 and 10 pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They are nice, but too similar for a seven day set for me. SPC had a Nanna Ivarsson seven day set a few years ago that I was dying over. All completely different shapes, but styled in a way that you knew that they belonged together.

May 31, 2012
The thing that irks me is the new style of White Spot button, they are so unelegant and of a poor design, looking rather hamfisted and clumsy.
They need to spend some time in their pipe archives reviewing pipes from the past and try to emulate the traits that made Dunhill so great in the first place.
I am totally uninspired by the White Spot.
v0HFHkt.png

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's funny cause I see artisans and think just how many Dunhills I could buy for the price of a good artisan pipe.
I think the new Dunhills are great pipes. I've bought MANY Dunhills, old and new, and love them all. I see absolutely zero benefit in the older vs newer ones.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting MLC. I love the button on my 2014 Chestnut. It is better than the two vintage, albeit used, Dunhills in my case. Compared to the Castello button on the same year pipe, it is artisan level (compared to an Alden, Asteriou, etc.). Did I get lucky?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Here's that set that was killing me.
https://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/nanna/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=102169

May 31, 2012
Interesting MLC. I love the button on my 2014 Chestnut. It is better than the two vintage, albeit used, Dunhills in my case. Compared to the Castello button on the same year pipe, it is artisan level (compared to an Alden, Asteriou, etc.). Did I get lucky?
Al,

It just seems (to me at least) that the buttons are out of proportion and look like Bluto where traditionally they've been more like Olive Oyl...
DUNHILL-7-DAYS-SET-pipes-B800-Dunhill-B800-Alpascia-img-144836-w580-h249.jpg
But I do admit that I'm a bit disgruntled with the White Spot, having got myself a total fail last year, and that pipe left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to WS.
I had always wanted a classic 305 "riding pipe" but they're far and few inbetween, so I settled with a brand new made in 2015 3903 version of the shape...
rIB8SgO.jpg

0gcSyAz.jpg
Although it was pretty, it was only skin deep!

An 86mm pipe (3 3/8") that won't pass a pipe cleaner is utterly ridiculous!
A very bad high misdrill:
qr9STVA.jpg
Airhole and slot offcenter too:
mVvpHl8.jpg

TN2gOBB.jpg
I'm also still disenchanted with the decision to change the name to The White Spot, as if Dunhill felt a need to distance any tobacco associations away from the main luxury brand in fear of it being sullied with the vulgarity of smoking.
I'm never going to buy another White Spot pipe, but I still may buy an older Dunhill from the glory days.
This is all just my 2d and not meant to be derogatory, just my honest personal opinion.

:puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
MLC, you do know they have a warranted/guarantee? They'll take it back and replace it. It's one of the Dunhill benefits.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
WOW CM!! That's stunning!!! How much did it sell for?
It was over seven grand I believe, and if my house had been paid for then, probably would have gotten it. Still would love to have one of her pipes though, if not the full set.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's just crazy!!! I must admit, had I the funds I would've bought it as well. That's a STUNNING set of pipes!!

May 31, 2012
MLC, you do know they have a warranted/guarantee? They'll take it back and replace it. It's one of the Dunhill benefits.
Yep, that pipe got returned due to "poor workmanship", as is covered under the famous warranty.
But I didn't opt for a replacement,

the experience made it clear to me that White Spot had lost the plot and drifted very far away from Alfred's conception of quality.
Instead I used it for credit towards another pipe, an artisan-made pipe which has served me very well.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.