PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I remember it being really wet for some reason and for some reason I remember it looking darker too. It may just be me and that my taste and memory have changed. Either way, I like it more now than I did before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a fascinating thread. It's a study in the differences in the sense of taste and also all the other

variables in pipe smoking. Two Dunhill tobaccos, Nightcap and 965, are favorites. Their Standard

Mixtures not so much. For some reason, I've never tried Royal Yacht, but this moves it from the

"maybe someday" to " sooner or later" list. Experiences on this thread run from love-at-first-smoke,

to ho-hum, to knocked on my ear. Thanks for all the various reports; they make this blend a

real destination tobacco.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
i really hope P&C isn't going to run out of tins for their sale. I was hoping to get one of each, as the only dunhill I've ever tried was 965 bulk, and I didn't like it

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I find the taste of RY doesn't deliver on the tin note's promise. There's a hint of VA sweetness but overwhelmed by the peppery tongue sensation of the Perique, otherwise there is very little taste or aroma. It's almost like a little black pepper sprinkled on a cigarette. Having always thought cigarettes taste gross, maybe that's why I'm not warming up to RY.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I totally have to try this blend, it was Stalin's favourite. Just thinking about that makes me want to try it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've moved from the "sooner or later" category on RY to owning an unopened tin which I am aging for a spell. After all the

discussion, I will start with a small bowl and smoke it slow, and see what happens. I enjoyed a tin of Nightcap after an

over-large bowl smoked way too fast. Luckily, it was late in the evening, so it was a nightcap.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just can't stop thinking about the fact it was the last thing so many people must of smelled as they were poisoned at their last meal eating with Stalin....

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Andrew I was going to ask you what the fascination with Stalin is? Between the Great Purge where hundreds of thousands were killed and the imprisonment of millions in labor camps you would figure that would turn people off to Stalin. lol

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know, the thought of sitting there smoking Royal Yacht and making lists of who's a kulak and who isn't just gives me a thrill. I guess it's the fact in the end he was a very powerful man who started his life as a bank robber. I'm also very much into Pol Pot, pretty much all the villains. I like the dark side of history.

fideau

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Royal Yacht was my daily smoke for about a year, along with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes now and then. Suddenly I seemed to lose my taste for it. Then the Sherlock seemed to be different, even the tin was changed and I think the mix was changed. Haven't tried any in years but I used to love it.

I too suppressed a laugh when I bought a few tins at JR Cigar and the cashier said "Royal Yak, we sell a bunch o'dat." :puffy:

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
I'm guessing that andrew is just trolling this thread with his juvenile posts, maybe not, but as for Royal Yacht, I think it's a decent tobacco. I don't find it to be too strong or nicotine heavy. Not my favorite out of the Dunhill line up, but not my least either.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
A week later I'm still working my way through the first of 3 tins of RY (why the hell did I order 3 you ask? To save on shipping cost :crazy: ). Still tastes like really strong unfiltered cigarette, like Gauloises if you've ever smoked them. Not an aro, not an English. No flavor or aroma at all, just...smoke. And I also find that unless I smoke it super S-L-O-W, by halfway through even a small bowl it starts to taste foul. But if there's a trick to enjoying RY I'm going to find it...by the end of the 3rd tin probably :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Royal Yacht is the only straight VA of which I know this an HO or high octane/high nicotine blend. Fine straight VA in any case.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Wasn't it you, Harris, who said that, when you came back to pipe smoking, you poured over tobaccoreviews.com -- and one of the best ways for you to judge the good from a the bad choice in pipe tobacco was simple:
AVOID blends Pipestud rated highly and BUY blends Pipestud hated :puffpipe:
It's always a pleasure knowing that my tobacco reviews are helpful to folks. :wink:
Pipestud

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
So I tried a tin of this based largely on the Stalin connection (I decided to try tobaccos smoked by famous literary or historical figures; Three Nuns, Capstan Navy Flake, C&D Epiphany, you get the idea).
I really enjoyed the Royal Yacht. My first reaction was to text a buddy to the effect that I'd discovered the cause of the Cold War; nicotine poisoning. But it made a good first impression on pretty much every other level. My wife liked the room note, and aside from a bit of trouble keeping it lit (probably my fault) I really enjoyed it.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Smoking it right now in my 1975 Dunhill root briar apple, smokes fantastic and I thoroughly enjoy it. Besides the occasional bowl, I have basically dedicated this pipe to royal yacht. Coincidentally, this was the first pipe I smoked the yacht in and haven't had a bad bowl since.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I haven't given this blend the attention that it deserves. I like strong smoke, and the featured VAs are very well blended.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I have just bought my first ever corn-cob pipe and am smoking Royal Yacht in it. On a sunny day in London, such a supremely sweet (just one notch below sickly sweet) combination is perfect and intensely pleasurable.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I always liked RY when I smoked it, but recently it's becoming a more desirable smoke for me. Nice palate cleanser, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.