PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I truly believe every man worth his salt should own at the very least, one Dunhill.
Are they the world's best smokers?............ no
Are they cool as fuck?............ yes
I own about 120 of them, all pre-1965..........
I LOVE THEM!.........
YMMV......
I tend to support your position. It's like a collection isn't complete without at least one Dunhill. I have always been on the lookout of a straight, classic shell briar Dunhill, with a standard stem (no saddling), with exceptional sandblasting that we associate with Dunhill. But these types usually go for about $700, about 3 times I'm willing to pay for a pipe.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have several Dunhills from the 50s and 60s and love them. They are amazingly light briars and are magnificent smokers. I have a few ruined by “restoration” - but those that have been gently refurbished are wonderful.

For some reason amateur pipe restorers have a horrid habit of ruining the stem to stummel junction - I think they buff them separately and buff the tenon - you land up with a loose fit and unsightly join. They also “top” the rim sometimes - just sad.

Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous sellers who will move defective pipes at inflated prices - hence giving the pipes a bad name in a quality price ratio.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have several Dunhills from the 50s and 60s and love them. They are amazingly light briars and are magnificent smokers. I have a few ruined by “restoration” - but those that have been gently refurbished are wonderful.

For some reason amateur pipe restorers have a horrid habit of ruining the stem to stummel junction - I think they buff them separately and buff the tenon - you land up with a loose fit and unsightly join. They also “top” the rim sometimes - just sad.

Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous sellers who will move defective pipes at inflated prices - hence giving the pipes a bad name in a quality price ratio.
this brought me to a question, when we are removing deep oxidation of vulcanite stems via sanding,how we ought to proceed in order to avoid rounding stem shoulders( that'll mean shank/stem joint )this 'obvious flaw would be visible to anyone who has any extended experience with pipe restoration

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some folks want the "best," and pipe shop owners and others will point them easily to White Spots/Dunhills. I sure don't want to rain on anyone's parade, if they're pleased with the pipes and the prices they pay, whether the prices are pretty good or just very high. I have a few up-market pipes that smoke truly well, and quite a few medium and low-end pipes that actually smoke as good as any.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I tend to support your position. It's like a collection isn't complete without at least one Dunhill. I have always been on the lookout of a straight, classic shell briar Dunhill, with a standard stem (no saddling), with exceptional sandblasting that we associate with Dunhill. But these types usually go for about $700, about 3 times I'm willing to pay for a pipe.
What am I missing? According to you, you acquired the pipe you describe a few years ago.

Reactions: bnichols23

Bigdadz

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Montreal
I like my Dunhills, especially the shell briars. They are light with an open draw and the buttons are comfortable. Most of mine are pre-1990’s.

I personally wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a modern production dunhill. I have 8 of them and I purchased them all more than 10 years ago back when the prices were more reasonable, nothing over 250$.

I have a few Ferndowns that I like very much and smoke just like Dunhills. Sadly those are no longer being made but at the time they represented excellent value.

As far as factory handmade pipes go, I would prefer a Castello over a Dunhill.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
At risk of hurting feelings here, I think the new machine made Dunhills are nothing more than overpriced Petersons, and don't get me started on Petersons! In my honest opinion, the older Dunhill pipes, pre 1969, were great! The same can be said for the other old British pipes, Barling, Charatan, Comoy's, and Sasieni. For me, though, I'll take family era Sasieni over all of them! For me, and I'll say it again, FOR ME, they look better, smoke better, and are more comfortable in the clench.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't Recall that, might hade been sold when i was low in cash.
This one.

Reactions: bnichols23

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
Well, Dunhill _made_ a lot of fine pipes that had the focus in the right areas and gained quite a following due to that. They made them in relatively large volumes too, so you can find awesome deals on old pipes from time to time.

Like anyone that makes anything of any complexity... they made some duds too, especially in recent years, yet they continue charging similar premiums for new pipes as they did when they had better quality control and more of a focus on their pipe business.

I will admit to owning 5 currently, all estates from '52 to '02, and I happen to have had a really positive experience with the brand. Snagged them all at what I considered really reasonable prices, they look great, and smoke fantastic. My advice if you are curious would be to keep your eye out for a good deal and inspect it before purchasing (or make certain the seller has a nice return policy), but I wouldn't personally advise you to steer clear of the brand entirely.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I have one dunhill a Billard from the 40s can’t remember the exact date it has a repair band and a aftermarket stem so I got it dirt cheap like 18 dollars because it’s worthless to a collector but to me it’s a nice smoker.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only Dunhill white spot I've got. I wouldn't say no to an old one....at the right price.

w640-be4e4e4.jpg
Quite right!
Cool: is there a golf course of that name? À donde?

Status
Not open for further replies.