PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been very happy with my Petersons (despite the inexplicable protractors, they are really fine pipes) and an occasional Nording, and others. So what makes Dunhill so special beyond aesthetics? I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'm not prepared to spend a month's earnings for what might be just name prestige. Is it the quality of briar? Where it comes from? Or something else?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So what makes Dunhill so special beyond aesthetics?

Nothing but the name. I've owned five and have many pipes that put them to shame in regards to drilling and smokability.

I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'm not prepared to spend a month's earnings for what might be just name prestige.
What happened to your 1960 Shell Briar?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think White Spot (Dunhill) makes nice pipes, and I use the tepid adjective advisedly. I find the extravagant prices insulting. They are handsome pipes. So are many Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, and Stanwell Italian made. A late great Forums member was a true Dunhill devotee, back from the days when Kaywoodie was the highest luxury factory pipe, and Dunhill was a runner-up, in the 1950's. Even he had a list of the Dunhill series he wouldn't own, with which he'd become annoyed and disgusted. But the prices on White Spots are an affront. For the $750 to $850 you would spend on a standard size (Group 4/medium) pipe you could buy two, three or four artisan originals made with loving care, or two Castellos, Ser Jacopo, or some other up-market pipe. As chasing' points out, you can shop hard and find estate Dunhills at appropriate yard sale prices, with the risk that you could get something beyond repair. I understand enough about marketing -- it being a sort of hobby of mine to observe and track such things -- to know that the pricing on White Spots amounts to a scam, or at least playing the consumer for a status seeking chump. No thank you to White Spot/Dunhill pipes for me.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Generally speaking Dunhill White spot pipes are nice, older ones are even better ,mostly,although both new and estates alike seem to be a bit overpriced, would I buy a brand new Alfred's White Spot Dunhill?, well, now when I have had experience with several of those ,I'd think twice prior to pulling a trigger,for the money they are asking, there's probably other alternatives offering better quality/price ratio, but one think is certain IMHO no manufacturer makes classic shapes which have looks as sophisticated as Dunhill does, yet Dunhill's stem shaping is second to none

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I think White Spot (Dunhill) makes nice pipes, and I use the tepid adjective advisedly. I find the extravagant prices insulting. They are handsome pipes. So are many Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, and Stanwell Italian made. A late great Forums member was a true Dunhill devotee, back from the days when Kaywoodie was the highest luxury factory pipe, and Dunhill was a runner-up, in the 1950's. Even he had a list of the Dunhill series he wouldn't own, with which he'd become annoyed and disgusted. But the prices on White Spots are an affront. For the $750 to $850 you would spend on a standard size (Group 4/medium) pipe you could buy two, three or four artisan originals made with loving care, or two Castellos, Ser Jacopo, or some other up-market pipe. As chasing' points out, you can shop hard and find estate Dunhills at appropriate yard sale prices, with the risk that you could get something beyond repair. I understand enough about marketing -- it being a sort of hobby of mine to observe and track such things -- to know that the pricing on White Spots amounts to a scam, or at least playing the consumer for a status seeking chump. No thank you to White Spot/Dunhill pipes
If you keep an eye out, you can find deals. This one was mislabeled "Dunhull", and I got it for $20.

View attachment 54323
[/QUOTE

WOW, what a catch!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
All a matter of preference. I think with Dunhill/white spot folks pay more for the name and perceived sophistication. I have three. like them but hardly ever reach for any of them. Plenty of Artisan makers are better and certainly Castello (which I consider artisan but which others think of as high end factory) is a much better pipe in most instances. This especially applies to more recent Dunhills as their are plenty of folks who think old Dunhills are superb.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
The only Dunhill white spot I've got. I wouldn't say no to an old one....at the right price.

w640-be4e4e4.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If you keep an eye out, you can find deals. This one was mislabeled "Dunhull", and I got it for $20.

View attachment 54323

That is so nice looking! ?

Lucky bastard, why can’t I get that kinda luck. :cry:

Ahhhh where can I get a Dunhull? LOL :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, never heard of that before, I need to keep my eyes open, cause I want! :eek:

Anyone got a Dunhull they want to sell? bdw

Status
Not open for further replies.