PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I also wanted a couple Dunhills in my collection and recently scored 2 older (60s) Dunhills I got very recently at under $200 apiece. One had a badly oxidized and sour-tasting stem that resisted all known attempts at solving, so I had a new one made (with a white dot). Had it done in acrylic, as I much prefer them to vulcanite. Smoking wise these Dunhills are excellent, but no better than a similar-aged Comoy and Charatan I have. By far the best smoking pipes I own are Italians...Castello, Radice, Caminetto, Mastro de Paja...and especially Ser Jacopo. As an aromatic smoker I use pipe cleaners whilst smoking, and Ser Jacs are drilled so it passes easily even in a full bent.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
"I have 86. I do not care about brand prestige. I have them because they are the best smoke per dollar, black shells and Cumberlands excluded. "
Why exclude black shells and cumberlands? Just curious.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have several old and new Dunhills and they are good smokes, but the be all end all smoke people claim, no. My Dunhills beat out many pipes in my collection, but definitely not my Castellos, Ser Jacopos or Ferndowns for around the same price point. And you can get a superior Lane era Charatan for less.
One thing they do better than almost anyone else is their shapes. If you want a pipe shape in its pure, quintessential form and proportion, the Dunhill example will be it.
Of course, value is in eye of the smoker.

Aug 14, 2012
fishingandpipes: I avoid black Shells and Cumberlands because they are the worst tasting Dunhills I have tried. With the shells the problem is that when they picked a stain the blackness was of greatest importance, not the taste. The taste is just a little bitter on these pipes. It does not get much better with a lot of smoking. I had quite a few of these which I have all parted with. The Cumberlands use the same stain as the Chestnuts. The chestnuts get pretty good tasting with some smoking. The Cumberlands do not. Because of the greater surface area of blasted pipes and because they use multiple coats, the bad taste of the stain remains. I have kept only one Cumberland because of it's beauty, but it does not smoke well. Remember, we all have slightly different tastes. I know that many smokers do not taste the stains. To me they are almost as important as the briar in determining the taste of a pipe.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just caught this thread and am smoking a Dunhill bent group 4-one of the first Dunhill's I've purchased (estate).
Along with everything that has been mentioned about Dunhill already, one point I'd like to make notice of is their light weight. Every one that I own weighs under 60 grams, most around 40. (to be truthful, I have not weighed them but I am sensitive to weight). In addition to their classic shapes, the stem work on every one that I own is a pleasure. I do not do well with roundish stems because I'm a clencher. Dunhill stems are thin and generally have a comfortable button on the end, just easy to hold onto without drain on my jaw. Even my Oom Paul, the largest pipe Dunhill that I own, is just a pleasure to smoke.
Yes, they are $$, and no, I have not purchased a new one, nor do I intend to. There are so many estates available that I do not find it necessary to own a new one.
I also am very fond of James Upshall, and clearly they are selling at much lower prices than Dunhill. The Upshalls that I have also have nice thin stems and are easy to clench and smoke very well. An excellent value if you enjoy an English style pipe.

fideau

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Dunhill only uses the highest quality Briar, and still hand cuts the stems from what I have read. I have two Dunhills, a Shell Briar and a Tanshell. I can't say they are the absolute best smoking pipes I have, but they are equal to the best. When looking at pipes, I go by their weight, the lighter the better. Dunhills are the lightest pipes compared to any others of equal size I have found. They just feel right, and last forever.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Thank you to all of you for your insights, advice, experiences, and recommendations. Lots to consider. Much appreciated.

thabop

Lurker
Nov 24, 2013
South Africa
Thanks! Good posts. I have GBDs, George Jensens, Petersons, a Stanwell, and a Savinelli. Must say, I'm pretty happy with my current collection and doibt that I will pay that much for a Dunhill. Maybe I'll try an estate Dunhill one day.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, you were wrong on that 1960 Dunhill Shell ODA - it went for $530. I did toss in a $500 bid but lost it at the wire. I really want an older ODA - the hunt continues.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, you would have overpaid if you won. If it went over my price of 350.00 then it went too high. I am not sure you realize it but I am the market maker for all Dunhill estate pipes. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.