PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks Kevin. I stumbled into the article before arriving here at the forums to

learn that it's official now. Thanks for the heads-up.
I also noticed a new banner showing eBay offerings. I think that's a swell idea.

(I wouldn't mind having a permanent feature showing all eBay pipe offerings on a

continuously updated basis, if such a thing is possible.)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
So is Dunhill's full line still available in Europe? I noticed that Light Flake isn't on the list of tobaccos that will be coming back to the states and that saddens me. It was the first Virginia flake I ever smoked. If they are still available in Europe I can have a friend pick me up and mail it to me.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Phil, I received an email from a member in the UK, and he basically confirmed that the situation in England is the same as the US. It is coming back soon with the same blends.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes Kevin, the scarcity of the Dunhill blends in the UK is something

that my contacts have also lamented for awhile. Your article has many

sitting on the edge of their seats in anticipation.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hell, even I'M excited and I've never had any of them, but I'm looking forward to trying them!
-Jason

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Skrew me once, shame on you. Skrew me twice, shame on me. They're isn't going to be any shame on me.

I've moved on.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Even when I was in Denmark at the Poul Hansen Pipe Shop in downtown Copenhagen, Steffen Nielsen, the proprietor, lamented that it is hard for him to get much of the Dunhill line, although I did purchase a tin of 965 and EMP from his shelf.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It seems there will be more blends coming "based on demand" according to BAT. There is no firm date on those yet. The article has been updated with the new information ...
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/dunhill-pipe-tobacco-returns-to-the-us/

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
I've heard a lot of great things about dunhill tobacco, excited to try some. Thanks for the heads up!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
One thing puzzles me.... OK, so it's a couple of the blends listed in the

upcoming Orlik production. I've smoked Light Flake (Murray's) and Standard

Mixture Medium (Murray's), but I don't know what Flake and Standard Mixture

are. Are we dealing with new blends or a case in labeling semantics? Has

anyone here smoked the Flake or Standard Mixture?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get any Dunhill samples here at the show in New Orleans, but my fears were put to rest when I got one of each, photographed in my hotel bathroom right here.
dunhill-pipe-tobacco.jpg

I got 8 out of the 9 that are listed here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/dunhill-pipe-tobacco-returns-to-the-us/
The big ugly warning stickers will not be on the tins shipped to the US.
Speaking of "shipped" ...
The latest word is that it will be closer to the END of September for them to be arriving in the US, so probably more like October to be on retail shelves.
Nightcap:
I smoked Nightcap for the first time last night and it is amazingly super delicious.
It is Virginia, Latakia and Perique.
All three of these tobaccos makes their mark on Nightcap in perfect harmony.
You very definitely taste sweetness from the Virginia, smokiness from the Latakia and pepper from the Perique.
A full review will come in the future.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The most recent information that I've read on these blends is from Byron Oost...
"Just as I and some others figured, the new FDA regulation regarding the use of words like LIGHT and MEDIUM, has reared its ugly head. Due to said regulations Light Flake and Standard Mixture Medium will not be available. Standard Mixture Mild has been renamed Standard Mixture Mellow. I guess they think they can get by with that verbiage. Also Three Year Mature Virginia will not be available. I do not know why they have dropped it, but they have."

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You are most welcome Kevin. I'm surprised that they didn't

bring this to your attention, as it's a major change in market

position and availability...

Status
Not open for further replies.