PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
redpanda, tastes are very individual. Don't hold yourself responsible for liking every popular blend. You may like Nightcap later or never. Also, don't assume if it isn't tasting good that no full-strength blend will. There are a world of blends out there. This is the golden age of online access to an incredible array of them. Find blends you like and explore similar ones. Mild is good too, even for people who also enjoy full-strength. I really like a lot of Cornell & Diehl blends, but I've never made friends with Bayou Night -- just tastes harsh to me. Maybe some day.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It is also fairly dry now, that must have been a major reason for the rough start.
I have found that a few days of unsealed but shut tin time of a Dunhill blend improves my enjoyment of it.
But...after smoking Red Orlik all day, tonight I smoked (still going) the last of my NC in my Savinelli 606 and really enjoyed the depth of it.
Prost! Or whatever one says to a shared enjoyment of a legendary tobacco.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
mso489: No, that's not the case. I am not one of those people who are afraid of being out of the crowd. If I don't like it, I don't like and I am not embarrased to say it. But I had been reading so much about it, that I was surprised at first because it really did not work for me in the beginning. Now I am out and I want more by the way. It is strange however, how some days something can taste so so, and great the next day. That is something which I have not been able to fully explain to myself yet. As for C&D, I'd love to try some of their tobaccos but unfortunatelly they aren't available where I live, and are hard to get. I would gladly try some Haunted Bookshop !

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I've found that taking NC and putting it in a mason jar for about two weeks really helps me enjoy it more.
I do the same thing for EMP, 3 Oaks Syrian, Comoy's no 11 and Squadron Leader. Latakia is not my favorite components and I find the time in the jar helps to alleviate some of the dominating sharpness. It also allows some of the other components to emerge in the flavor of the smoke.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Do yourself a favor. Buy a pound an put it away.....you WILL come around.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
I am far from being a connoisseur and I am only able to distinguish general trends in tobaccos. E.g. I can tell the difference among virginia, english and burley. However, I do find NC the best English I have tried in terms of taste. It wasn't my first english and I guess that I had perfected my technique by the time I first tried it.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
tanless1: That sounds like a darn good advice ! :)
cobguy: I am from Cyprus.( The land of Latakia, only I am from the Greek part,so..no latakia )

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hi red Panda,
I am not very versed yet, so not only it's my take on it, but it might lack the more experienced palate information.

I got NC advised by my local tobacconist ... (in china, let's say he knows a thing or two) when I started smoking.

As you can imagine, it felt a little too much for me. But I kept at it.

To me, as it appears to be the same for many, it's a very very strong tobacco, I don't smoke it very often.

When I do, I use one my "mini" Petersons. They are miniature pipes, the chamber is around 1.5cm wide for 3cm deep.

I pack it kinda loose and I have to say that, not so much as a "nightcap", but definitely at night, after a big dinner, it feels good.

Very slow smoke.

And I smoke it quite occasionally.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't care for Nightcap. I am not fond of perique, so Nightcap is not for me. It's a high quality blend - just not my cuppa.

I would note that if you are used to to Skiff, HH:VS and Nightcap both have a lot more latakia. And HH:ODF isn't a lat blend at all.

Just because it is well-regarded in the pipe-smoking world doesn't mean you have to like it. :puffy:

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Carver: Not very wise of your tobacconist to get you started with this. Also, I know a bunch of people are going to argue about this, but I do not find NC as strong as people say. Solani aged burley flake 656 feels stronger to me for example. Actually, it (NC) is a superb blend in the end of the day. I do not see any problem smoking this at anytime of the day. In the morning after a good breakfast perhaps.
Jud: skiff is ok, but HH VS I really like. NC though, when I finally got it dry enough, turned out to be smoother than all of them .

Status
Not open for further replies.