PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Both Nightcap and 965 weren't anything to write home about for me. Star of the East and the G.L. Pease Lat-bombs are much more to my liking.

Dunhill blends tend to have a strong "earthy" note, where the others are more pure, savory campfire.
If you didn't find Escudo something to write home about then my best guess is it needs to sit for a few years. I haven't seen any "fresh" tins, but apparently it is possible to find them fresh and un-aged, in which case you're not going to be smoking the same stuff as the rest of us.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
DH NC and SOTE are daily smokes for me and I buy them in bulk.
Still, I buy Escudo, like Stonehaven, for trade bait.
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
Fnord
P.S. C&D Exclusive is 50% Perique? That's worth an order alone.

F

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Had some Nightcap last night for the first time - in a word - boring.....I'd rather have a bowl of Old Dublin. I'll finish the tin but it certainly didn't impress me to buy more.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Everyone has different tastes and thankfully there's something for everyone as it relates to pipe tobacco. It's just finding what one or two that really ring your bells and stocking up that requires some creativity. Don't discount any blend right off the bat, you may find it's your holy grail blend a year from now.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've smoked many blends contining latakia in varying amounts and in all cases the taste and odor has come foreward. Currently I have some MM965 to finish up, but after that it's back to Nightcap as my only English. Like the old saying, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.